Thursday, November 16, 2017

November GBBD: End of Another Season

What a difference a few weeks can make!  Last month I was counting butterflies and enjoying the beauties of autumn's late arrival.  This month we are headed straight into winter.  We haven't had any snow, other than a few stray flurries, but it's been cold--frost on the windows in the morning is now the norm.


As for my garden, well, this is pretty much the scene everywhere.  The hostas stayed green longer than usual this year, but when the first killing frost came, they seemed to say, "Ok, ok, we give up!"


As I looked around the garden a few days ago for something still blooming to show for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, the only thing I could find were some blooms on the Yarrow.


And one errant 'Stella d'Oro' bloom that was frozen in time for awhile.


Even the Knockout roses have given up for the year.


Although the temps dipped below freezing several times in late October, it didn't seem to affect my garden.  Then we left the first of November to visit my daughter and family in Texas for a week, celebrating my youngest granddaughter's first birthday.  The morning after we returned, a killing frost finally signaled the end of the season for the garden.


No more zinnias for butterflies to enjoy--and no more butterflies this season, for that matter.


  But there is still some beauty to be found in the garden, even in winter.  'Wendy's Wish' Salvia (in the forefront of the photo) gives one last lovely gasp before succumbing to the inevitable.


Behind it, the Amsonia hubrichtii and the berries of Beautyberry add some pops of color.


A glaze of frost gives the seedheads of coneflowers a little extra pizzazz.


They will look even better with a topping of snow.


The cold can bring some other surprises--I never saw any blooms on my milkweed, but they did produce seed pods!  I'm so happy--maybe next year there will be more than just one or two plants for the Monarchs.


Anyone recognize these plants?  They're asparagus--finally, it's time to cut them back.  In fact, I haven't done any clean-up at all in the vegetable garden.  I managed to get all my bulbs planted before we left for Texas, but that's about all I've accomplished in the garden this fall.  I'm hoping for a couple of warm, sunny days to finish up the must-do fall chores before the snow flies.  Everything else will have to wait till spring.


The blooms on the 'Limelight' hydrangea are aging well.  They will hang on through winter; the branches of this shrub are a favorite of the birds since the suet feeder is nearby.


The trees were slow to change color this year, and once they did, they didn't last long.  It took weeks for the maple in our front yard to fully turn gold/orange.  Luckily, we arrived home from Texas just in time to see it in all its glory.


Now, a week later, half the leaves have fallen.  With any luck, a few windy days will blow these all away into the fields . . . if not, it looks like a good job for the grandkids:)


Although I am sorry to see the season end, I'm not really sad. I'm ready for a break from garden chores, time to enjoy the holidays and re-charge for a couple of months. And time to dream and plan for next year's garden, which I'm sure will be the best ever!


Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is held the 15th of every month.  Thanks to Carol of May Dreams Gardens for hosting this so faithfully and keeping me motivated to keep a monthly record of what is blooming in my garden.

30 comments:

  1. What an array of gorgeous images. We so rarely get a frost that outlines plants like that. I was out yesterday pulling up mushy Hosta leaves just like in your first photo. I keep waiting for a warmer, sunny day to finish up in the garden but I don't think it's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. When I got up the morning after we got home and saw the frost, I had to rush in and get my camera and snap some photos before it all melted--wandering around the garden in my ratty blue robe:) I've resigned myself to getting only what is absolutely necessary done in the garden this fall; everything else is going to have to wait till spring.

      Delete
  2. Each season has its own beauty. You captured some pretty frosty flowers and seed heads.
    If you need blooms in December, buy a potted poinsettia (maybe someone will give you one!).
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea. I do like the seed heads in the winter, especially with a coating of snow. They remind me of the season past and what to look forward to in the spring. By December a poinsettia will be about the only bloom I have:)

      Delete
  3. Winter truly does seem to have arrived in your garden but the images that you give us of it are lovely. That maple tree in full color is amazing and I do love the hydrangea bloom. It's wonderful how they retain their soft color right up to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Limelight' is one of my favorite hydrangeas, Dorothy, because it blooms so late and does look pretty even into winter.

      Delete
  4. Stunning frost pictures, Rose--especially the Amsonia and the Echinacea. My story is pretty much the same. Suddenly, everything is dead or dormant. It was a nice, long season, though. That Maple tree is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I love the Echinaceas covered in frost, and even better with snow. Although we had a long season in the garden, it seems like fall only lasted a couple of weeks. The maple tree is my favorite in autumn.

      Delete
  5. Your frosty photos give a perfect view of the season. Our big trees in back keep the frost off of the plants pretty good until the leaves all come down. They are making their way with this arctic wind coming through today. I too am ready for some time to dream about the garden. Time to sit back and appreciate all that bloomed this year. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being out in the country, my garden isn't as protected as yours, Lisa. I was surprised that the first few days of below freezing temps didn't affect my garden at first. I'm hoping for one or two more decent days so I can finally get the rest of the necessary clean-up done!

      Delete
  6. Rose, your garden is still pretty, I love these asparagus ans zinnias even they are frozen. I've watched on TV the temps in your place dropped and I thought about your plants. I see, some of them don't give up.
    Lovely photos, especially trees in golden dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Trees in golden dresses"--love that image, Nadezda! We've had some wild swings of temperatures this fall, but I think winter is definitely on its way.

      Delete
  7. Really beautiful photos, Rose. Love the pic of the frosted daylily and that maple in your front yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. I'm glad I went out with my camera when I did. This time of year everything is changing so quickly.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos. You even make the frost look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. The first frost--and the first snow--are always so pretty.

      Delete
  9. Rose, your garden is still beautiful !!
    Lovely photos !
    Greteings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ela. Hope you are doing well. With the garden dying back, I'll probably be taking more bird photos in the coming months.

      Delete
  10. That is one helluva maple! Gorgeous!!! I can't believe it's been a year since your granddaughter was born... time really does fly. I have to say I really love all your frost-lined photos - I can just smell the fresh, brisk air! I think every garden should have Amsonias and Yarrow. Amsonias because they look so amazing in fall, and Yarrow because... well, it's just a rockstar of a plant. Have a great Thanksgiving, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time seems to fly even faster as I get older, Anna:) I first saw Amsonia in the spring time at the Lurie Garden in Chicago and fell in love with it. But now I love its fall color just as much.

      Delete
  11. Your frosty blooms are beautiful Rose, proving that every season has its beauty. Enjoy all the beauty that each season has to offer. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is my second favorite season of the year, Lee; the only problem is it's much too short here in the Midwest. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well!

      Delete
  12. Oh that maple is fabulous Rose. Do you use the fallen leaves to make leaf mould? Fabulous frost filled photos. I imagine that you are tucked indoors most of the time keeping warm and cosy. Like you I'm dreaming and planning for next year's garden and of course it will be the best ever :) I hope that you enjoy your Thanksgiving celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna. I do try to rake up some of the leaves and put them in my compost pile as well as using them for winter mulch in the flower beds. But usually if I procrastinate long enough, the wind blows them all into the fields:)

      Delete
  13. It was like that here, too. One week was in the 70's, the next saw it dropping down into the teens. Some of my trees didn't even have a chance to change their leaf color! You have some beautiful pictures of the fall garden and the frost, though. I hope you had a good visit to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has certainly been changeable, Indie. We've had a great weekend, and it's supposed to be in the 60's here today. I want to put up Christmas decorations indoors, but can't resist going outside to do a few last garden chores. We're headed back to Texas in a couple weeks for grandson's birthday as well.

      Delete
  14. Es ist traurig, wenn die Natur in den Winterschlaf geht. Aber ohne diese Ruhezeit gäbe es kein Frühlingserwachen. Vielen Dank für die wunderschönen Aufnahmen.
    Liebe Grüße von Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid, I know just enough German to understand most of your comment:) I do like winter, if for no other reason than it makes spring that much more special. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  15. Still so much beauty in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone would see the brown stems and seedheads and see the beauty there, but I have learned to.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.