Sunday, October 15, 2017

GBBD: October Bloom Day

Autumn.  Next to spring, my favorite time of year.  Typically, the cooler temperatures are a welcome relief from a long, hot summer, the air feels crisp rather than oppressively humid, and the green of the garden is replaced with golden hues.  Autumn arrived late this year, no matter what the calendar said, as temperatures in the 80's and even 90's remained until nearly the end of September.  When fall finally came, what I most appreciated, however, was the rain--after months of near-drought, we have finally had some significant rainfall the past few weeks.  My poor tired and thirsty plants have been gratefully soaking it all up.  What little time I've spent in the garden the last two months was spent dragging hoses around to keep everything alive, but as we all know, it's just not the same as a nice, gentle rainshower.

In fact, on this October Bloom Day, it is raining once again, so I may have to do with some photos I've taken the past week instead.


Most of my usual fall bloomers have already faded away.  'October Skies' asters were in full bloom by the end of September and now are just a memory.  The same with the Goldenrod and Turtleheads.  In many ways my fall garden has been a disappointment.  The most puzzling is that none of my New England Asters bloomed.  My butterfly garden has been full of these every other fall, to the point that I thought I should rip some of them out.  But this year the only asters to bloom in this area were Frost Asters, also known as Hairy Asters, which are more of a weedy native.  I have no idea what happened to the New Englands unless it was too dry for them.  This small area I call my Butterfly Garden is filled with mostly natives, and I must admit I usually forget to water it during dry periods.  Perhaps it's time to re-do this whole area.


Other disappointments this fall included no-show cosmos and the zinnias.  The zinnias did bloom and eventually they grew to their usual height, but the blooms were much smaller than usual.  I planted the same variety of seeds that I have for several years, so that can't be the reason.  I'm thinking the dry conditions may have affected them, too.


The pollinators still enjoyed the blooms, even if they were smaller than usual, fortunately.


Even if there aren't many blooms in my garden right now, there are other signs of fall. The Amsonia hubrichtii is just beginning to turn to the golden hue it acquires late in the season.


The Beautyberry next to it is full of berries right now.


So is the 'Cardinal Candy' Viburnum.  I've never noticed many birds flocking to this shrub, but I'll have to watch more closely later in the season.


One of my favorite "berries" are those of the Blackberry Lily.  It took me years to get one or two plants established in my garden, but now they have self-seeded and form a border in front of the Lily Bed.  I think I like their seedheads better than their blooms.


Fall color has been slow to arrive in our area; perhaps it has been fooled by the warm weather we've had--yesterday was another 85 degree day!  I've noticed only a few leaves changing, and I don't expect the intense colors of some falls because of how dry it has been all summer. The big maple in our front yard that usually has the most vibrant color has begun to change a little.  I took this photo a week ago, and you'll notice the color changes start at the top of the tree.  Slowly, the transformation will work its way down, and in a couple of weeks, the whole tree should be a blaze of orange.


The garden is really winding down, and there isn't much in the way of new blooms.  About the only new blooms I have are the Japanese Anemones.  This pink one--name forgotten--looks a bit tattered, and the white ones didn't grow as tall as usual this year--again probably because of the dry conditions.  But they are a welcome addition to the garden, just the same.


One plant that looks better than ever is the 'Senorita Rosalita' Cleome.  Ever since I started planting it directly in the ground instead of in a pot, it has been much happier.  The Knockout roses just peeking it out in the left of the photo have also put out a fresh flush of blooms.


The only other new blooms this month are a few fall annuals I've planted. Most of my containers are looking pretty sad right now, especially the petunias, but I don't get too carried away re-planting fall combos.  Fall can be such a short season here in Illinois, so it's not worth the time or money to create new containers.  But, of course, I have to have a few mums!


One container I did re-do somewhat with the addition of some smaller mums and some mini-pumpkins was this one by the old oak tree.  This is a new "container" this year:  this spring my husband noticed this old, broken wheelbarrow that my neighbor had set out for trash pick-up.  He thought I might want it for a planter, which of course I did!  There was even a little horse manure left in the bottom (my neighbor has horses), which I mixed up with the soil.  The funny thing about this, though, is that I planted quite a few Wave petunias, thinking they would look good draping over the sides.  But a few weeks after planting, they all died.  I thought my neglect in watering them had killed them, so I bought a few more petunias--now on clearance--and replanted.  But they all died, too!   Everything else--the 'Diamond Frost' Euphorbia, Gomphrena, and 'Victoria Blue' Salvias--did just fine, even with some neglect.  I have no idea why the petunias don't like this wheelbarrow, but I'm making a note to myself not to plant them in this next year.


Fall means lots of chores in the garden before winter sets in, and I've been spending much more time outside the past few weeks, in between rain showers, than I have in a couple of months.  The big project ahead is pretty obvious from the picture.  I have tried to cut back on my bulb-planting the past few years, but I got a little carried away.  When my bulb orders came in, I realized I had ordered over 500 bulbs!  Not sure what I was thinking--well, yes, I do--I was enticed by all those pretty photos on the bulb company websites:)  I just hope I get them all in the ground before the snow flies!


The best part of my fall garden, however, really doesn't have much to do with flowers or foliage, other than indirectly.  On Friday the 13th, my husband, Mr. I-Don't-Garden, came in from mowing and said I really needed to come out to the garden.  There, to my astonishment, was a swarm of Monarch butterflies.  It was difficult to count them all as they floated from flower to flower, especially to the zinnias, but I think there must have been at least two dozen.  I've never seen so many Monarchs at one time!  It was truly a magical, almost spiritual experience, and I found myself repeating over and over "This is amazing!"


This had to be the highlight of my fall garden.  So even though most blooms are fading away and plants are getting ready for their winter's sleep, there is still something to delight in the garden.


Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is hosted the 15th of every month by author and garden fairy expert Carol of May Dreams Gardens.

29 comments:

  1. Those asters and zinnias are just glorious. It looks like fall has definitely arrived in your garden. Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zinnias are such stars this time of year--they should bloom right up until frost, Dorothy. I'm happy about the cooler temps of fall, Dorothy, but most of all for the rain!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful butterflies!
    Love the display in the little red wagon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea! I was in awe of all those Monarchs!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry Rose you hadn't success with petunias. Maybe they were not hardy to rain, I don't know. I love your Japanese anemones, they are really autumnal flowers as mums of course.
    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just the petunias in the wheelbarrow that didn't do well, Nadezda. Perhaps they didn't get watered often enough, but the other plants did well, so I'm just guessing. I love the Japanese anemones this time of year, too.

      Delete
  4. That is a great husband who knows you would want an old rusty wheelbarrow and gets it for you! Love it and the wagon. I am with you on doing fall planters in the upper Midwest. And like you I am so glad for rain and cool temps. All those 90 degree days in Sept. where dreadful in my book. I really look forward to lovely 70s in Sept. I planted only around 150 bulbs so I am impressed. You will have to write about what you ordered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when my husband even thought of the wheelbarrow as a planter, but I had wanted one for years. I ordered about 100 daffodils--I'm trying to fill in an area around pine trees lining our property, and try to plant at least 100 each year. Another 250 bulbs are smaller ones like crocus and scilla, so they won't take so long to plant. But I ordered--and then bought even more--around 150 tulip bulbs. I think I might have to share some of those with my daughter and daughter-in-law:)

      Delete
  5. I would faint if I received a box of 500 bulbs. ha... I am too lazy to plant that many bulbs. I wish you luck getting them into the ground. It is wonderful to have some rain though. I feel your pain. My garden looks so rusty.
    Gosh, I would love to see that many Monarchs in my garden. I can almost visualize and feel what you felt just seeing the pictures. I have made me a space to plant some zinnias and other butterfly magnets in for next year. Thumbs up to Barry for grabbing the wheelbarrow and alerting you to the monarchs. Maybe this retirement thing is giving him a new lease on life. ;) This gardening year has been such a disappointment. I hope we don't go through this another year. Happy GBBD anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I didn't count as I was adding things to my online cart; I just kept thinking, "ooh, I want some of those...and those":) I'll probably still be out digging in December:) Barry does surprise me some times! Maybe next year we'll be complaining about too much rain.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful highlight--dozens of Monarchs in the garden at once! They're so pretty on your Zowie Zinnias! Because of you and many other garden bloggers, I added Amsonia hubrichtii and Beautyberry to my garden this year. They're both in partial shade (that's pretty much all I have), but areas that get strong morning and some afternoon sun. Both seem to be doing well, though taking some time to establish. Lovely plants! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing all those Monarchs at once was truly a magical experience, Beth! I think you'll love the Amsonia and the Beautyberry; they're great additions to the fall garden. Mine, especially the Amsonia, did take awhile to get established, so be patient. Mine have gotten huge!

      Delete
  7. Oh I'm with you Rose - autumn is my second favourite season after spring :) Even though you can't describe our summers as warm I prefer the cooler autumn days which are much better for outdoor work. Your reloved wheelbarrow is most spendid. 500 bulbs - that's a big box and some serious planting ahead. Look forward to seeing the results come spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This past summer wasn't as hot as some year, Anna, but we have such high humidity here that even when the temps aren't that bad, it can feel pretty oppressive. I didn't plan to buy so many bulbs, but I know I'm going to love it in the spring.

      Delete
  8. I love seeing your variety of berries. I grew blackberry lilies in my earlier garden (Missouri); they arrived in a package that was supposed to be an iris... ;-) I enjoyed them for years. It must have been so lovely seeing all those Monarchs! And one of the best parts of fall is probably a big box from John Scheepers... Enjoy all those bulbs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blackberry lilies are spreading quite a bit, Amy, so I may have to thin some out at some point, which is ironic considering how long it took me to get one or two established here. The box of bulbs arrived at just the right time--we've got a sunny week ahead, so I plan to do a lot of digging!

      Delete
  9. Your asters, zinnias and Beautyberry are all so beautiful. Actually, I love everything about this post, from the pretty blooms to the fun fall displays to the Monarchs! It looks like you are really enjoying fall. It is also my second favorite gardening season of the year, besides spring of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves have been slow to turn, Lee, but otherwise, it's been a lovely fall. Today is a rainy, gloomy day, but that's okay, too, because we have needed the rain so badly.

      Delete
  10. Like you Autumn next to spring, is my favourite time of year.
    I always enjoy seeing the changing colours, the rustling of falling leaves, pumpkins and the like.

    Wow the monarchs are so beautiful, lovely to see.

    Happy Autumn Wishes Rose

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy autumn, too, Jan; I just wish it wasn't such a short season! We're in for much cooler weather this week, and there's a chance of frost, so blooms may not last much longer. I've still seen Monarchs in the garden this past week, although not nearly as many as that amazing day!

      Delete
  11. Your flowers and shrubs are really beautiful, Rose !! It's a joy to have such a wonderful colored garden which is visited by butterflies!
    Great photos !!
    Have a happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ela, when I first started gardening, I chose plants that I liked. Now I plant as much for the butterflies and the bees as I do for myself.

      Delete
  12. Love that first picture of 'October Skies' - it's a great aster. And I'm jealous of all those colorful berries - all of mine are eaten by the damn squirrels and chipmunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still baffled what happened to my New England asters, Jason. I didn't think anything could kill them! Chipmunks and squirrels aren't much of a problem here; I can thank my dogs for that:)

      Delete
  13. Your garden looks lovely despite drought. We've had similar issues in Maine. I'm also pleased to see more Monarchs in Maine and on your blog. I hope they're recovering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing all these Monarchs was a thrill for me, Sarah. I do hope all these large sightings means their numbers are up.

      Delete
    2. We are overdue for some good ecological news!

      Delete
  14. For a garden that you say is past its best it still looks pretty good to me! I love the michaelmas daisies; I don't know why we don't have any. And those butterflies! Wow, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Liz. The Michaelmas daisies are what we call mums, and they're very popular. I've given up, though, on planting them in the ground, because they usually don't come back, so they all wind up on the compost heap eventually:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.