Sunday, September 27, 2015

Summer lessons learned: It's A Mystery To Me

I love a good mystery.  Give me a book by Martha Grimes or Sara Paretsky or Debra Crombie, and you won't hear a peep out of me all evening.  In fact, you probably won't see me very early in the morning either, because I invariably stay up way too late as I turn page after page, caught up in what is going to happen next.  But novels aren't the only forms of mystery; there are mysteries in the garden as well.  This summer I often was bewildered about what was happening in my garden.  Some of those mysteries were eventually solved, like the tidy conclusions with no loose ends I prefer in novels, but other situations still have me puzzled.

Salvia Azurea, also known as Pitcher Sage

Every year I have some mystery plants, plants that I can't identify and wonder if they're a weed or something I will welcome in my garden .This year was no exception.  I've already mentioned the sneezeweed that I initially had no memory of planting and the Salvia azurea that I almost pulled, thinking it was a weed.

One mystery daylily identified as a passalong


Then there were the daylily mysteries.  I always try to record any new daylily purchases I make and  place a marker next to each one when I plant them.  But two of my tags disappeared over the winter or were buried deeply under the compost, and when lily season began, I found I had not the five new daylilies I remembered buying, but six!  And then, to make me feel even more like I'd lost my mind, there was another new daylily that appeared in the butterfly garden!  The latter was solved when a fellow gardening volunteer reminded me that she had given me a division of one of her daylilies last year.  I probably planted it in the butterfly garden because I had simply run out of room everywhere else.


The six-not-five new hybrids were still a mystery until a week ago when I discovered my receipt from last summer while doing some cleaning.  (Amazing what things you can find when you do a little cleaning.)  It turns out I did buy six lilies--besides the five names I remembered, I also bought an unnamed hybrid--an experimental plant that the growers have decided not to continue growing.  But there is still a little mystery--is the daylily above 'Susan Weber' or L09-021?


Or is this one L09-021 or 'Susan Weber'??

Another thing that has had me scratching my head this year is what happened to my clematis?  I had only one clematis until last year, 'Nelly Moser,' which bloomed faithfully and profusely every May/June.  But this year not a single bloom!  Last year I planted a new clematis, 'Roguchi,' which I was very excited about because I love these bell-shaped purple blooms and it did very well in its first year.  But again, not a sign of it this year!

Clematis 'Roguchi' growing in the nursing home garden

I haven't quite come up with a satisfactory resolution to either of these mysteries, but my hunch is that my poor little 'Roguchi' may have fallen victim to some over-zealous weeding on my part this spring. Or perhaps it was strangled by the Cardinal vine that grew up the same side of the trellis and into the coneflowers and the lilies and just about any place it could sneak in.  And my 'Nelly Moser'--well, I'm not sure, but I may have pruned it too early and too vigorously in the spring.  It's growing up its trellis (minus blooms), so I'm hoping it will recover and bloom again next year.  As for poor 'Roguchi,' I'll be on the lookout for a replacement next spring.


A few blooms earlier on the yellow Knockouts; the red ones are too puny to even photograph.

I'm not taking any blame for two other puzzles, though.  My 'Knockout' roses were an absolute failure this year, producing only a few measly blooms.  I gave them a moderate pruning in the spring, but nothing different from previous years.  Last year everyone's 'Knockouts' in the area looked terrible, which everyone attributed to the bad winter.  But this past winter wasn't quite so bad--although we didn't have much snow cover--so I don't know why mine especially look so awful this year.  I didn't think you could kill 'Knockouts,' but I'm beginning to think I'm a homicidal rose killer.



Another no-show this year were the Macrophylla Hydrangeas.  Oh, they grew and grew with very healthy green foliage, but only one blossom appeared on three plants--only one all summer!  After a couple of people told me their Macrophyllas were doing the same thing and asked for my advice, I did a little sleuthing.  Improper pruning or lack of water or fertilizer could cause problems with blooming, but none of those were the problems here.  A late winter cold snap that occurred just as the hydrangeas were setting blooms seems the most likely cause.  If that is the case, then I don't have to feel guilty about doing something wrong, and I can only hope that blooms will return again next year.



If the weather was the culprit in my flower-less Macrophyllas, it had no effect on the Hydrangea Paniculatas, fortunately.  'Vanilla Strawberry' bloomed up a storm, and the 'Limelight' is becoming a flowering autumn tree.


Ascelpias curassavica, Tropical milkweed, is still blooming in the garden.  But it's not the best choice of milkweeds for Monarchs.

One of just a small patch of zinnias that grew this year.

Do you remember the old folk song "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?"  My last mystery concerns all the plants that never appeared this year.  From the Turkish lilies to all the milkweed seed I planted last fall or late winter, I am confused and disappointed at many no-shows. Besides the milkweed seeds, which really disappointed me because I was hoping to attract more Monarchs to my garden, there were other seeds that didn't germinate.  I always have good luck with zinnia and cosmos seeds, which are so easy to grow.  But very few of them appeared this year.  I suspect some of the seeds in my arbor bed were covered up with too much mulch when I had some helpers early in the season and forgot to mention where the seeds were planted.



But that doesn't explain the lack of flowers in my roadside garden, where I also planted some zinnias and cosmos.  Only one little cosmos plant survived to bloom. Correct that--I notice yesterday I have a second plant blooming!  I could blame Mr. P and his lawnmower, but I don't think he's a suspect.  In fact, there were several mysterious goings-on in this roadside garden all season, starting with some of the new tulips that never appeared.


Pot with hot pink annuals peeking out to the left of photo.

 Probably the most puzzling incident was the case of the empty pot.  In May I planted some petunias and 'Diamond Frost' euphorbia in a pot lying on its side at the front of the garden.  A few weeks later, the pot was empty!  Not a dried-up stem was in sight--everything had disappeared.  When summer annuals went on clearance in mid-June, I tried again and filled the pot with other petunias and bright annuals.  A week or two later, when I went to water the pot again, the same thing--not a plant in sight!

A fall mum now planted in the pot next to the sedum--I dare a thief to make off with this one!

Could it be fairies who stole my plants to decorate their fairy homes?  Or is there some marauding varmint that likes tasty annuals and is digging them out for dinner?  There are no clues and thus no suspects, so the mystery of the disappearing roadside plants will remain unsolved for now.  I could assign the investigation to Capt. Sophie, but with this garden's proximity to the busy road, it's out of her jurisdiction.


From both the mysteries that were solved and from the ones that remain open investigations, I have learned a few lessons this summer:
  • I need to be more diligent about recording all new plantings in my garden journal.
  • I need to find a better, more permanent type of plant label, one whose printing won't disappear over the winter and one that can't be pulled out by dogs looking for toys.
  • I need to follow proper pruning instructions--when in doubt, do some research first!

But most of all, I've learned once again that gardening can be unpredictable, and that a little mystery just adds some spice to it--gardening is never boring!





I am very late, but I'm joining in with Beth's quarterly Lessons Learned in the Garden posted at the end of each season.



37 comments:

  1. Never too late, Rose! I wonder if the disappearances and no-shows were due to rabbits, chipmunks, or field mice? I had more disappearances this fall, too. I was blaming it on the rabbits, but now I'm thinking field mice may have played a part, too. I added lava rock and chicken wire around these plants to stop the hemorrhaging, and it seems to be helping. Also, I planted many Alliums, hoping they'll help repel the pests for next year. Thanks for sharing your lessons! Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right, Beth, especially in the roadside garden. The plants that disappeared from the pot had to be ripped out by something. There were also some disturbances in the soil here, but I could not tell what might have caused that. Thanks for the idea on the alliums--I'm still working on my bulb orders, so I'll add more of those. I'm still hoping the milkweed seeds might germinate next year, but I'll plant more anyway.

      Delete
  2. Never too late, Rose! I wonder if the disappearances and no-shows were due to rabbits, chipmunks, or field mice? I had more disappearances this fall, too. I was blaming it on the rabbits, but now I'm thinking field mice may have played a part, too. I added lava rock and chicken wire around these plants to stop the hemorrhaging, and it seems to be helping. Also, I planted many Alliums, hoping they'll help repel the pests for next year. Thanks for sharing your lessons! Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, your lessons are very important. I find some notes about what I did buy last fall or what and where I left bulbs or seeds. About your clematis. The same problem I had with Jacmanii clematis - I dug and cut its roots and then decided to re-plant clematis in other spot. This summer I've seen some small trunks and no flowers- at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadezda, I try to write down new plants I've purchased and all the bulbs I plant each fall, but I'm not very organized about it--I need to do better. I'm hoping the clematis return next year--I'm definitely going to be more careful about pruning!

      Delete
  4. These are things we all could do better Rose. My poor garden is the pits this year. Still no rain. It is getting a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt your garden is the pits, Lisa:) But I am so sorry about the lack of rain--we haven't had any for over a week, and it's hard to keep up with watering the containers. I think I may let them die a slow death:)

      Delete
  5. I know the mystery feeling. Plants missing or with no name. That is a problem when having a big garden or just too many plants! Thanks Rose for the wishes. I appreciate your note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden isn't that big, Donna, but I definitely have too many plants crowded together. That's probably part of the problem--the weaker ones just don't have room to thrive!

      Delete
  6. I could never keep up with the daylily names either! Clematis are beautiful but you do indeed have to be careful around them. They are so fragile. I did not have any hydrangea blooms this year except for the lacecaps. It was very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often buy daylilies just because of their names, Phillip, so it's frustrating for me when I can't remember who is who! Several other people have mentioned the same thing about their hydrangeas this year, so I'm hoping it was just an off year for the macrophyllas. They certainly look healthy otherwise.

      Delete
  7. Hi Rose, I'm an avid reader too. I just finished a John Sandford orgy where I read three of his older novels one after the other. Reading my first Greg Isles now 'True Evil'. Pretty big book so I won't be reading it as an all nighter. I was unhappy with my gardens this year. I have huge maple trees around the house and the crowns are spreading and shading out previously nice garden areas. Many of my daylilies didn't bloom this year because there was just too much shade. I didn't mark any of the names so I will never remember the names after I get them moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read Sandford again; the book about the strange religious cult just turned me off, but I've always liked his other books. Will have to check out Isles. I'm reading a mystery someone in my book club recommended, and it's pretty bad--I just want to get to the end so I can read something I like instead:) I need to divide and move many of my daylilies, too, because they're just too crowded; I doubt if I remember names when I move them either.

      Delete
  8. "homicidal rose killer" _ Rose, you made me laugh out loud. Sometimes I think the gardens just say 'I'm not gonna do it this year'. Yearzzzz ago planted an annual (Persicaria orientalis) and for years it reseeded and blossomed. Then years back not a sign, but guess what is blossoming now after a void of about 6 years? Who knows why it happens? One of my favorites_Clematis 'Ernest Markham' suddenly died about 5 years ago; replanted one but it took 3 years for it to come back. And if you need any more Nellie Moser let me know. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Knockouts are suddenly blooming again, Diana--I hope next year is a better year. That's pretty funny about your persicaria; I don't think I'll ever understand all the mysteries of a garden.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well i just loved looking at all your wonderful blooms - thanks for sharing the photo's.

    Gardening offers so much doesn't it!

    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always some disappointments in the garden each year, Jan, but I do love the happy surprises!

      Delete
  11. Well there you go! A monarch showed up afterall! They have been delightful on my zinnias too. Happy mysteries to you! It adds to the spice of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a Monarch or two each day for several weeks, Tina, but I haven't seen one in over a week. I think they have finally headed south.

      Delete
  12. I wonder if you have rabbits visiting at night. I have lost many a plant and wondered why.....I now know rabbits are the cause.
    They love clematis BTW.
    I have some hydrangea that have not flowered this year, but there are others that have bloomed their little socks off :)

    Gardening is fascinating.....we never really know what will happen each year. I think that is part of the fun.............

    Love the images Rose.............enjoy your garden.

    Hope things are improving re Mum. Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be rabbits, Cheryl, but I suspect it might be squirrels or chipmunks doing the damage in my roadside garden. It's a "dog-free" area, so they tend to gather there more than near the house. Seeing that empty pot twice really had me baffled--they had to pull out the entire plants! So far they haven't bothered the mum. Mom is back in the nursing home, probably for good, which is hard, but at the same time I know she is safe and less likely to fall.

      Delete
  13. Only some of my clematis come back every year also. One problem I started them maybe five different ones from seeds years ago...oh the problem they were suppose to attract hummers but they are spent too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really disappointed with the clematis this year, Patsi. My 'Nelly Moser' usually blooms up a storm--I hope it recovers next year. The hummers would have enjoyed the 'Roguchi,' I'm sure.

      Delete
  14. Maybe you have a plant thief. Perhaps your flowers are brightening someone else's garden.m Roguchi is a tough plant. I bet it will bounce back just fine. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that, too, Tammie--at the Idea Garden we do have a problem with people visiting and just digging up plants they like to take home. I just can't imagine being that brazen! I suspect my plant thief is of the four-legged variety, though. We'll see if 'Roguchi' comes back; if not, I'll definitely be buying another next spring.

      Delete
  15. Perhaps the daylily nursery sent you an extra plant, and that's the answer to the daylily mystery. That has happened to me when I order from Oakes. As for the Clematis, I'll bet they pop up next year as good as new. I had a few mysteries as well. For example, none of my milkweeds set seed pods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, I always buy my daylilies from a local daylily farm--they don't throw in extra plants, but the owner has a way of talking me into buying "just one more":) I finally realized that's what happened this year. I was really disappointed in the lack of milkweeds here; I'm going to try to sow some this fall and see if that works better.

      Delete
  16. I have had such a hit-or-miss experience with seeds. Milkweed seeds have never produced a plant, and while I sowed multiple annual seeds in a fairly protected bed, I had very few plants grow. I wish I could figure out why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has happened with a lot of the native plants I've tried to grow from seeds, Cassi. A few, like the sneezeweed, do eventually appear, but it seems like it takes them a couple of years. I'm hoping for better success with milkweed next year.

      Delete
  17. Your collection of flowers is beautiful, Rose ! I am charmed the Clematis 'Roguchi ! I would like to have this variety in my garden!
    Greetings !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clematis 'Roguchi' only bloomed one year for me, Ela, but it is indeed a charmer!

      Delete
  18. Rose girl you gave me a good giggle this morning .. thank you !
    I too have plant mysteries from a tradescantia that keeps coming back each year even though each year I have pulled it out (long story)
    To another one that has shown up in my Russian sage at the lower laundry room window ... where it came from I haven't a clue, but it is pretty!
    I am good at recording mail order plants but local purchases I wanted to keep track of, well not so good.
    This past garden season has been wicked ... I am going to have to prioritize a little more drastically and keep some chores for the Spring.
    Spring we usually feel so much better at attacking them right ? haha
    I too am charmed by Roguchi ... I have twinkle that is of the same type but in white .. I love your blue !
    Stokes has very good metal markers that you label with a type of pencil .. easy to read and very reliable !
    Don't over do it Rose .. we are getting older and more prone to the big OUCHES ! LOL
    Take care girl
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I have plants like your tradescantia that I pull out and think of gotten rid of, but then they pop up other places, too. I will check out Stokes for some metal markers; I've been getting by with cheap ones, but it's time to invest in something more permanent before my memory is gone:) So true about getting older--my plans are always too big for these tired old bones!

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate the mysteries of the 'where's that gone?' sort! I have a tiny garden, it's really annoying when things just disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gardening is never boring! Thankfully, due to my terrible memory, I'm usually blissfully unaware of all the plants I've killed until I start going through my pot of tags. At which case I just have to take the view that a successful gardener just plants more plants than she kills! I just love your unknown daylily cultivars. They are gorgeous! You never know about the clematis. I've found that they can resurrect themselves and pop back up sometimes unexpectedly, so I hope that is the case with yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.