Wednesday, September 16, 2015

September GBBD: Almost Autumn

I haven't had much time to work in the garden lately, and it shows.  Summer is winding down, but not without some blasts of hot air and humidity before it leaves.  Faded and dried up blooms hang on plants waiting for someone to start tidying up for fall. Weedy wildflowers that I intended to pull are still blooming, probably setting seed for hundreds of progeny next spring.


The coneflowers look especially bad, unless you're into shades of brown, but the goldfinches are still enjoying them, so that's my excuse for not cutting them back.


Flowers aren't the only plants turning brown; we're surrounded on three sides by fields of corn which have been slowly turning to a shade of tan.  Soon it will be harvest season.


The vegetable garden is also pretty well done, except for a few tomatoes and eggplants.  The tomatoes didn't do very well this year--perhaps all the rain we had in early spring--but we've had enough to eat fresh.  The one plant that is still doing well are the 'Golden Guardian' marigolds, added to help deter pests.  And speaking of pests, there must be a few left in the ground, because Sophie always finds something to dig out here.  She refused to get out of this photo:)


The Sneezeweed that captivated me a few weeks ago is slowly losing its petals.  But I like the look of these seedheads, don't you?  They will definitely be left for winter interest.


But even as the summer blooms fade away, there are new additions to take their place and keep the garden interesting--and tasty for the pollinators and other visitors.  Native asters in shades of pink and purple are just beginning to open up.


And there is goldenrod everywhere.  I am amazed by the comments I see on Facebook and other places by the number of people who still confuse goldenrod with ragweed.  Besides being the allergy culprit, ragweed is ugly!  Goldenrod, on the other hand, is innocent and lovely, even if the native species like this can be a bit of a thug.


'October Skies' asters are just beginning to bloom, but the butterflies have already found them.


Agastache, aka Hummingbird Mint, shows no sign of letting up any time soon.  I only wish this plant would survive the winter here.


Another sign of fall--the Viburnum 'Cardinal Candy' is covered in small berries.  This is the first year I've ever seen berries on this plant, which was its main selling point when I purchased it several years ago.


There was a time when there wasn't much blooming in my garden in the fall.  Thankfully, over the last few years I've remedied that.  A new addition this year, Salvia azurea has turned out to be one of those late bloomers.  Actually, I am just happy to see these pretty blue blooms, no matter the time of year because I had thought I had lost this plant.  The tag marking it somehow was moved, and until it bloomed, I thought it was something else.  Glad I didn't pull it, thinking it was a weed!


Late-blooming phlox in the shade garden is a volunteer,
 one I'm happy to have however it came to be here.


Turtleheads also add some color to the shade garden expansion.


One of the stalwarts of the late summer garden are the ornamental grasses.  'Morning Light' Miscanthus rises above another grass, a Panicum.


I always have trouble capturing the Panicums on camera, but I thought this was pretty cool.  I'm not sure if this is 'Shenandoah' or 'Northwinds,' but the reddish tints of the seedheads make me think it's 'Shenandoah.'


And, of course, there are many annuals that keep going up until frost.  I don't know why I haven't planted Gomphrena very often, but I like these tall stems that sway in the breeze, especially in front of the Amsonia Hubrichtii, which is already beginning to change to its fall color.


Nicotania is another late-bloomer, but only because I pulled most of the volunteer seedlings early this spring.  A few escaped my weeding and provide some welcome blooms among the fading perennials.


In the containers, 'Silverberry' Supertunia has been one of the best performers out of all my petunias this year.


And finally, I can't end this Bloom Day post without showing off one of the best late summer annuals, the zinnias.  Monarchs have been passing through the garden for the past few weeks, and they always stop to enjoy the zinnias.


One of my favorite zinnias is the 'Zowie Yellow Flame.'  I brag about these every year, but they really are a pollinator favorite besides being simply stunning.  This bumblebee sure was busy gathering every bit of pollen he could!


Bees and butterflies--what more could you ask for?  

Although I haven't been very busy working in the garden, I have spent a lot of time enjoying it, especially all the visitors this time of year.  Butterflies, bees, and the antics of hummingbirds make this one of my favorite times of the year.


To see what else is blooming this September, check out other Bloom Day posts at Carol's of May Dreams Gardens.

40 comments:

  1. What a lovely autumnal garden! We also have goldenrod and aster. I'm all about the natives since so few of my planted perennials survive a Maine winter, even my hydrangea stopped blooming after the last one. Why do golden retrievers always photo bomb sans faces? Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sarah, the natives are certainly hardier than many other perennials. I appreciate the fact I don't have to baby them, though the goldenrods and asters are a little too happy here:) I tried to get Sophie to show her face and pose, but she was just too intent on whatever she was digging up.

      Delete
  2. Your zinnia photos are stunning. I love zinnias! A garden is lovely any time of year. I actually like seen the coneflowers in the winter. I think they add great winter interest to the garden area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't zinnias great? The first few years I gardened, I didn't grow any, now I wouldn't be without them. I agree, Sally, about the coneflowers in winter--I always leave at least half of mine standing all winter.

      Delete
  3. I think your garden looks wonderful, a real, living, breathing garden. And the bees and butterflies seem to agree with me! Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make me happy to see the bees in my garden, Dorothy, as it makes me think it's a healthy garden. We haven't had nearly as many butterflies this year as some years, so I'm glad to see the Monarchs visit.

      Delete
  4. Your autumn garden looks great ! It's nice to watch the beautiful flowers and butterflies in the garden !
    Lovely pictures ! Greetings !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ela. I wish I could get a few decent photos of the hummingbirds, too, but they're too fast for me.

      Delete
  5. You have a beautiful garden!

    Thanks for sharing this post and giving me the idea to also participate!

    I just started a new blog last week about gardening and crafting. You are always welcome visit if you want.

    Greetings, Sofie
    http://sofies-succulent-beads.blogspot.be/2015/09/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-september-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, Sofie, and I'm glad you joined in for Bloom Day. Your garden looks lovely!

      Delete
  6. Your garden is gorgeous in all seasons, Rose! I hope I'll be able to find some 'Zowie' Zinnias next year. I could try to grow them from seed ... we'll see. Great shots of the pollinators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I'm happy that there is more to see in the garden in the fall in recent years; I've been working on that. I direct sow my 'Zowie' seeds--they're very easy to grow that way. So glad you like them, too!

      Delete
  7. I had to chuckle at your experience with your blue Prairie Sage, because I had the same experience with it too! It's quite the nondescript, stealthy plant until it blooms. It's been a hot dry summer here too, which always seems to encourage the weeds, but discourage the plants. I just love your petunias (I might have to grow those next year!) And of course all the wildlife makes the garden even more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indie, I swear I didn't notice this plant at all this summer until it started growing and then blooming. I found the tag in the ground one day and was so upset it didn't make it. I guess it was just hiding:)

      Delete
  8. You have a lot blooming in your garden now Rose. I always say Iam going to plant some zowies and then forget at the right time. I just got the grass I bought planted this week. It has been so dry here I figured they would be easier to water in the pots. We haven't had over an inch of rain since July something according to the weatherman. That would be 58 days. Geez. I am beginning to water all plants I want to survive the winter. A little scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many things I didn't get around to planting this year either, Lisa. Oh well, there's always next year! I'm so sorry you haven't had any rain--that sounds awful! We had another good rain last night--2 1/2 inches in my rain gauge this morning, with more forecast for later.

      Delete
  9. Still lots of bees and butterflies in your garden. What is the blue flower with the coneflower seed heads? Perovskia? Love the Salvia azurea. Zinnias are such a great annual - mine are also still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is Russian Sage with the coneflowers, Jason. It's not an easy plant to photograph, I've found. Zinnias are great, aren't they? My taller ones always bloom late, since I direct sow them, so they usually last right up until frost.

      Delete
  10. Lovely flowers and butterflies Rose. I have been thinking things may be winding down but then the asters opened up with the late helianthus and they are everywhere this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I'm surprised, too, by what is still blooming. The asters and now the Japanese Anemones are keeping much of the garden colorful.

      Delete
  11. I love your butterfly shots :-) Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cassi! You don't know how many times I've chased a Monarch around the yard with no luck:)

      Delete
  12. Fall gardens have their special charm. Your garden, Rose, has a mix of annuals, perennials, grasses, blooms, seed heads, berries and butterflies as a beautiful bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tatyana! I am enjoying all these late blooms, but the butterflies and hummingbirds most of all.

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you got to spend time enjoying your garden instead of just working in it - it looks wonderful. And your fabulous critter photos are to die for - love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling rather guilty about neglecting the garden, Anna, but I am enjoying it, which is what it's all about it, isn't it?

      Delete
  14. Hi Rose,

    I can remember seeing zinnias when we visited and thinking how colourful they were. Great for the bees and butterflies.
    I love the stands of corn.....definitely and autumnal image.

    Golden rod is beautiful and I only wish I could grow it. It never does well here, so I have given up on it.
    I saw some recently growing on a grass verge .....I had to pull over and take it look, it just looked stunning.

    You still have plenty to share with us Rose, enjoy it while you can, autumn is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I don't have nearly as many zinnias as I usually do, but they are one of my favorite annuals, and I love that they bloom so late when so many of the perennials are dying down. So glad you stopped by--hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  15. So lovely to see all the colour and pants in your garden. I love the grasses too.
    I've never heard of 'sneezeweed'! What a fantastic name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suburbia! Isn't sneezeweed a funny name, especially when it doesn't cause any kind of allergies. Sometimes I remember the botanical names better of plants, but this is one I'll probably remember the common name more.

      Delete
  16. As well as some great plant photos you have taken some amazing photos of butterflies. The one of the Monarch is fantastic! Although there is still so much colour still in your garden, I sense that autumn is creeping in! Same here in the uk. We are still having some warm and sunny days but it is getting hard to ignore the change of the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane, for visiting! I enjoyed seeing your lovely garden. The Monarch is my favorite butterfly, and I think for most Americans. It's such a majestic one, and I love how it floats through the air. But you're right, autumn is here, and it won't be long before the garden really changes.

      Delete
  17. So many lovely plants still delighting the eye in your garden Rose. That is a lovely salvia, such a delicate blue, I am glad it survived! Personally I love the echincea heads at all stages of decay, but I do recognise that not everybody concurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I not only like to see the goldfinches on the dried echinacea right now, but I like them in the winter. I always leave most of them up--they look quite pretty covered with snow!

      Delete
  18. It’s funny you too didn’t have a good year for tomatoes, neither did we over here, but for a different reason than you. We had excellent weather in May, June and first week of July, but after that it’s been rather cold and the tomatoes have lacked warmth and sunshine I think. Loved your asters, not been very successful with them in my previous, shady garden. I think I will try them again here in my new sunnier garden. And Salvia azurea is absolutely fabulous! Next year I WILL grow zinnias and cosmos – definitely! So much to see here, so much for my wish-list – thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were the opposite, Helene--the early months of rain created the right conditions for all kinds of fungal diseases for the tomatoes, I'm afraid. I know not everything that grows here does well in the UK and vice versa, but zinnias and cosmos are so easy to grow and well worth planting!

      Delete
  19. Very nice Bloom Day post Rose. It is sad that I have maybe seen only two Monarchs this year. Butterflies and colorful zinnias are a perfect pair for photographs. I love that soft pink volunteer phlox. The pinks I have are more garish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been seeing one or two Monarchs a day, Jennifer, but I am amazed by some people who see a dozen at a time. I need to get some milkweed growing here! Isn't the phlox pretty? I have no idea where it came from, but I'm happy to have it.

      Delete
  20. I agree with your late summer favorites pix. I have let a couple wild goldenrods volunteer but they do require ruthless pulling and pruning to stay in check. I purchased zinnia plants instead of seeds this year and haven't seen any insects on my blooms. Wonder if these were treated plants? My favorite tomatoes Sweet 100 are winding down. The plants look awful but they are still producing. Love 'em, think I might cry when I eat the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marnie, I'm discovering that the goldenrod is spreading more and more, and I'm getting a little more ruthless pulling it, too. I have always planted zinnia seeds, and usually ones from Renee's Garden, so you may very well be right in thinking the plants were treated.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.