I was awakened at 6:30 this morning by the ringing of the phone. My husband had kissed me goodbye and left for work a few minutes earlier, and I had rolled over thinking I'd get a few extra minutes of sleep before having to get up. I thought it was he calling, but instead it was his cousin who lives in Tennessee.
"Hello, Rose, it's Diane."
Oh dear, I thought, his great-aunt is not well. But thankfully, that was not the case, as she continued, "Are you ok?"
"OK? Sure, we're ok." By now I was puzzled.
"Well, I heard about the earthquake you had and wanted to make sure you were ok."
""Earthquake? What earthquake??"
Well, you get the idea. By then I was completely awake and turned on the radio. Apparently, we DID have an earthquake last night, but I slept through it! My daughter told me it awakened her because her bed was shaking. According to news reports, we had a 5.2 earthquake, centered about 140 miles south of us, with shock waves felt as far as Chicago, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati. No reports of serious damage have been made yet, thank God. I hope that everyone else who may have been even closer to the epicenter is also all right.
I decided to take my cup of tea and go outside and survey the area. I certainly didn't see any signs of an earthquake. To my surprise, though, I did notice that my clematis is budding. I have been checking it fairly often, because I know it needs to be cut back, but it must have greened up overnight!
I could use some help here. I planted the clematis two years ago, so I didn't cut it back at all last year. A single vine curled all around this trellis last summer, and it did have a few blooms. I know that you are supposed to cut it back in the spring to help it become fuller, but I am afraid to. I believe it is a Group III; at any rate, recommendations I've found say to cut it back in March or early spring to about a foot high. Do you think it is too late to prune it? Or too soon?
If there are any clematis growers out there who can give me some advice, I'd appreciate it. If I don't get any suggestions by early next week, I may get brave and cut it back anyway.