Sunday, July 15, 2018

An Explosion of Color: July GBBD

I don't get to travel as much as I would like.  Between family obligations--including who's going to take care of four dogs??--and this and that, it is hard to get away.  So when my daughter offered to let me tag along with her to Washington, D.C. a few weeks ago, I jumped at the chance.  My husband stayed home, so I didn't have to worry about the dogs, and not much was going on in the garden that needed my immediate attention, so it was perfect timing.

While the garden was kind of at a lull when I left, all that changed in the few short days that I was gone.


In six days' time, the purple coneflowers had gone from a few opening blooms to a sea of pink!  And when I say "sea," I'm not exaggerating.  It's hard for me to get a good photo of the sidewalk garden that shows all the flowers, but maybe this one section will give you an idea.  Even though I dug up many seedlings in the spring, there are so many that there isn't much room for anything else.  Good thing I love coneflowers:)



Almost all the coneflowers that grow here are the native species, but 'Cheyenne Spirit' is one hybrid that has done well here and hasn't been overtaken by the natives--yet.  'Cheyenne Spirit' is one that will have different colored blooms on the same plant.  I bought this one before it bloomed, hoping for yellow blooms, but as you can see, I didn't quite get what I had wished for.  Still, I like the varied shades of coral and orange on this plant which sets it apart from all the common coneflowers here.


The other coneflowers have spread everywhere, including to the Lily Bed, which has been a riot of color for the past two weeks.  Even though I initially named this the Lily Bed, not all my lilies are growing here--I ran out of room here long ago! Since the daylilies are the other star of the garden right now, let's take a little closer look at some of them.


One of the first to bloom, 'Little Hug' is still putting out a plethora of blooms.


'Susan Webber,' a registered cultivar named after a local gardener.


'Moonlight Madness'


A NOID lily, given to me by a friend.


'Andrea's Dragonfly,' a division shared with me by my friend Beckie who named it in memory of her daughter. (Not a registered daylily)


Another NOID lily that I call 'Nettie's Coral' after my aunt who gave me several of these years ago.


It's probably apparent from the previous photos that I am partial to pastel lilies.  Take me to a daylily farm, and no matter what my buying intentions are, I always gravitate to the pastels:)  But I do have a few darker ones, including this lovely whose name has long been forgotten and which was also given to me by my friend Beckie.


Another non-pastel is this NOID that apparently got mixed up with some 'Stellas' I bought years ago.  I keep meaning to divide it because I really do like it much better than the Stellas anyway.


Some of my "literary lilies" are also a little darker like 'Divine Comedy.'  



And 'Canterbury Tales.'


'Romeo is Bleeding' is a bright red edged with yellow.


Of course, 'Romeo' had to have a companion, so I named this no-name hybrid 'Juliet.'


More of my "literary lilies"--and pastels again--'Tennyson' is a prolific beauty. I can't quite decide if this is my favorite daylily....


...or if 'Mistress Prynne' is my favorite.


I have many more daylilies than this, but I think you get that idea that I have become addicted to them.  The last few years, though, I've  also branched out a little to other types such as the Orientals, including what I call everyone's favorite, 'Stargazer.'  I've yet to see any blooms on the Casablancas, however, one of my favorite Orientals.



There are a few Orienpets as well, including this one whose name I've already forgotten.  With their downward-facing blooms, they are interesting but hard to photograph.


Although the coneflowers and lilies are the stars of the garden right now, there are other blooms as well.  Grey-headed coneflowers have been blooming for several weeks in the butterfly garden.


Hostas are just beginning to bloom in the Oak Tree garden.  All the rain we have had recently has turned my shade gardens into jungles once again.


In the Arbor Bed, the phlox are just starting to bloom.  This is 'David' with a fuschia no-name peeking behind it to the left.  I noticed this combo one day of whites with the pinks of the coneflowers and 'Stargazers'--another one of my happy accidents in planting.


I love, love the garden this time of year, but it's not just the blooms that I enjoy; it's all the creatures that come to visit it that bring me joy as well.  Well, not that darned Japanese beetle on the left coneflower, of course.  But I have been thrilled that finally the butterflies have appeared.  I was beginning to worry that their numbers were down this year, but in the last two weeks, I have had so many come to visit that my camera memory card is filled with nothing but  butterfly photos.  Black swallowtails, Red Admirals, and many smaller butterflies that I haven't identified are enjoying the coneflowers.


The Tiger Swallowtail is one of my favorites, 
and I'm pretty sure on Friday a Giant Swallowtail made a short visit as well.


But what makes me happiest of all is to see the Monarchs.  I've had at least two--my husband says he saw four at once--hanging about the garden for the past two weeks.  My milkweed plants are pretty puny, but at least I can provide some nectar for the adults with all these coneflowers!

It's been a hot, hot summer so far, but I am enjoying the garden right now, and I hope you are enjoying your summer garden, too.

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is brought to you once again by Carol of May Dreams Gardens.

36 comments:

  1. Your coneflowers and daylilies are all just glorious! Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy! I spend a lot of time just walking around the garden these days,enjoying every bloom.

      Delete
  2. A riot of color is right. Beautiful. You have all that delicious sunshine to encourage your blooms. I specially like Empress Prynne. She is darling. Your shade garden looks so healthy. WOW. I wonder what that big leafed thing is in the foreground middle? It looks like a Brunnera on steroids.?? I was wondering if that was Miz Wu on the left too? It all looks so good. We have only had 1/2" of rain this July so far. We need so much more rain. I am thankful for this cool down. And yes your coneflower bonanza is outstanding. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. 'Mistress Prynne' is a delicate shade of pink and looks so pure; I think that is why she is my favorite. You have a good eye--that is indeed a Brunnera in the middle of the shade garden photo, and the leaves have gotten huge this year! You're right about 'Empress Wu,' too--I may have to re-think planting her here because she's quickly taking over the space. I've been grumbling none stop about the heat this summer, but at least we have had decent rain--we had another 2 inches on Saturday.

      Delete
  3. What a glorious display of Echinacea and Day Lilies.
    I love Midnight madness and the grey headed coneflower.
    I would plant both of these in the garden.

    Glad you had rain Rose.
    We have high temperatures and the ground is very dry. Fortunate enough to have a storm last week and it did drop a lot of rain. I am so grateful, it really is needed.

    Glad you managed a wee break. Hope you enjoyed time spent with your daughter.

    Have a good week Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheryl! Gray-headed coneflower is a native here and one you would find in prairie plantings, so I'm happy it's doing well for me.If you happen to stop by here again, you will have to look at that long shot of the Lily Bed again--the tall plant to the far right is the 'Strawberry Vanilla' hydrangea you gave me years ago. It's just about to bloom and will look glorious when it does--it's a beauty, and I think of you and Mr. P every time I look at it.

      Delete
  4. Everything is looking terrific and those coneflowers really identify your garden as Midwestern. But your daylilies are spectacular; a really beautiful collection in terms of color and form. I have a number of smaller flowered varieties mostly peaches and yellows, but a few of yours had me gasping — esp. those ruffled edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coneflowers really like it here, Linda, so I just let them go:) I'm partial to the ruffled daylilies, too, though I don't think I've ever seen a daylily I didn't like.

      Delete
  5. Rose girl ! Your gardens are GORGEOUS !! they make me wonder what on earth happened to all the cone flowers I planted .. I barely have any now .. it is a MYSTERY to me .. but yours are stunning !
    Those day lily are magnificent ! .. You have such an amazing collection, you should be VERY proud of them ..
    You have had rain ? ... we are so darn dry here it is scary once again .. we got spoiled a bit in June with some rain .. now in July nothing .. thank heavens for the sprinkler system ... I am so ready for autumn it isn't funny ... and I have to wince at that after all the moaning I did trying to get rid of winter .. never happy ? but yes .. in Spring .. what little we get when things are so ice and neat and fresh .. I NEED a long Spring ? LOL ! Beautiful post girl !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about a long spring, Joy--I would love to have it last more than a week or two! Other than the heat, I am enjoying this time of year because of all the color in the garden.

      Delete
  6. Rose, your garden looks wonderful! I admire all your beautiful flowers! I love colorful lilies and my favorite is Divine Comedy ! It's nice that your garden is visited by beautiful butterflies!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ela! There are so many butterflies right now; I can't believe what a change there has been in just a few weeks. I enjoy watching them all.

      Delete
  7. Rose-your Echinacea and Daylilies are gorgeous and I love seeing those butterflies enjoying the flowers. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos and for such a lovely visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. Next to spring, this is definitely my favorite time of year. The lilies are like tulips--every day a new one opens up, and I enjoy walking around the garden each day to see what new blooms I can find.

      Delete
  8. Words fail me. These photos are spectacular. I miss growing such flowers. I’m grateful to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally. I am fortunate not to have too many critters, like deer, that bother my garden. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  9. Now I see the difference between day and oriental lilies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is pretty obvious once you see them growing. The orienpets are cool, too. There are several other types of lilies, as well--I am still learning!

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed seeing all your daylilies. I have a very small collection of them and want to add more. There were several I liked, but I can see why you favour 'Mistress Prynne' and 'Tennyson'. This year I added a bunch of coneflowers. Your display makes me glad I did. Butterflies seem to be more plentiful this year and I am happy to have more of the flowers they like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I think I became enamored of daylilies when I saw so many on blog posts quite a few years ago. Now I love them and wish I could find room for more! The coneflowers are my favorite, and they do well for me here, but I would always grow them anyway because the butterflies just love them.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful pictures and wonderful Flowers. Have a Happy Day. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! I am enjoying this time of year in the garden.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful comment you left on my blog! "I've come full circle, enjoying nature like I did as a child..." I just resonate with that! It's so true and nice to read from a fellow nature lover.
    Will come back to read your blog entry later on.

    Enjoy this hot day! Next week the forecast is for rain - lots of it. We need it, but hopefully not too crazy much. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. It's so true, though--when I was raising my children and working full time, stopping to enjoy nature was a luxury that I didn't have time for, it seemed. Now it not only brings me joy, but gives me comfort, especially in the crazy world we live in right now.

      Delete
  13. So many beautiful flowers to enjoy in your wonderful garden Rose.
    A feast to my eyes.
    Have a wonderful weekend
    Rosehugs Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marijke. I really am enjoying them; it seems as though something new is blooming each day, so it really is a great time of year.

      Delete
  14. Your Day Lilies are so lovely - I only have one and the poor thing is in a pot until I move house!
    your photos are so good, I'l love to know what camera you use?

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My camera is nothing special, Suburbia--it's only a digital, though a pretty good one, a Nikon Cool Pix 500 that I've had for quite a few years. I've discovered that butterflies are one subject that I can photograph well with using the macro setting and zooming in to soften the background. I think you take fantastic photos! Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  15. You have an amazing selection of Daylilies! They are beautiful. Love the butterfly photos. I've seen one or two Monarchs most days this year for the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am addicted to daylilies, Jason:) I have seen Monarchs consistently since mid-June, which seems an encouraging sign.

      Delete
  16. Wow, some very gorgeous daylilies! Most of mine are pass-a-long plants and don't have names (and are of course much more robust than the couple named varieties I have!) I was so thrilled to see a couple monarchs in my garden recently, and I even saw one when we went up to Vermont last week. Here's hoping they do well this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Indie. I have quite a few passalongs as well, and I often scratch my head trying to remember where a particular daylily came from--I swear I didn't plant some of them:)

      Delete
  17. So nice for you to have a break with your daughter.

    I think your garden looks lovely and really enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.
    The year is passing by so quickly … enjoy these summer months.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time does have a habit of rushing by, doesn't it, Jan? At least we have had some cooler temperatures this past week so that I can get out and enjoy the garden more.

      Delete
  18. Dear Rose, sorry I'm late in your blog. There is hot weather now and I have to water every day the plants, busy all the day. Your garden is nice, colorful. It's right - an explosion. Especially daylilies I love the most, although yellow cone-flowers are pretty as well!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to stop by, Nadezda. We're in the midst of a dry spell right now, and I, too, am spending so much time watering everything that there isn't much time for anything else!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.