Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Is it Spring Yet?? March GBBD

Goodness, it's been awhile since I have participated in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.  But I haven't had much to show off the past few months.  There have been no forced bulbs indoors to brighten up a winter's day--I never did find those amaryllis bulbs I stored away last fall; they will probably turn up in July:)  And I really didn't think anyone would want to see the straggly plants I potted up to over-winter and then promptly neglected.  So I opted out of the past few Bloom Days, waiting for the first spring blooms to appear so that I had something worthwhile to share.

It has been such a weird winter weather-wise.  We haven't had enough snow all season to do much more than cover the ground for a few days before it melted, and I don't think the temperatures ever dropped below 0, both very unusual for Illinois.  February was the warmest February on record for our area, and I fully expected to have an early spring.  We spent last week visiting the two youngest grandchildren in Texas, where the temps were in the 70's nearly every day, so I was expecting to come home to see a garden full of daffodils.  Instead, I found this:


And this:


Poor little Scilla and daffodils shivering in the snow.  Once again, winter has returned, though not with the vengeance that has struck the Northeast--again, just enough snow to cover the ground.

I really had high hopes for an early spring, after the early appearance of some blooms in February:


On February 18 the first snowdrops appeared.  They always come as such a surprise to me--I had been looking for signs of them for days with no luck, and then as if by magic, they appeared in full bloom on this February morning.


On February 23, the first crocuses opened up,
 a new record for the earliest crocuses in my garden, I believe.


That last week in February was so warm that I spent some time cleaning up in the garden--what a treat to finally be able to work outside!  I was ready to call it a day after a few hours, but I decided to check the shade garden where I found these fat Hellebore buds.  I promptly put on the gardening gloves once again and began snipping away all the old foliage so they could get the attention they deserve.  They're probably blooming by now, but unfortunately, they're covered in snow, so I can't tell.


But back to today--instead of all the spring blooms I thought I might have by now, everything is in a holding pattern.  More crocuses have opened up in the past week or two, but for now they are huddled up waiting for the sun and warmer temps.


A few Scilla have been brave enough to appear, though most are waiting, too, for the snow to melt.


The big old lilac has budded up--the only plant I'm concerned about now.  I'm afraid these early buds may be doomed after this latest cold spell.


But other than the lilac, I'm not too worried.  Daffodils and tulips are up all over the place, waiting for the right time to bloom.  Spring will arrive whenever it is good and ready.

Thanks to Carol of May Dreams Gardens for hosting another Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, and congrats on the new book, Carol!



45 comments:

  1. Such hardy blossoms to poke their heads through the snow! Happy Bloom Day and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These little blooms are tougher than I am!

      Delete
  2. This week's snowfall was deep enough to bury the few things I thought I might be able to photograph for GBBD. You'll have lots to see the minute your snow disappears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have much snow, Linda; just enough to cover the ground once again. But it certainly put the daffodils and tulips in a holding pattern.

      Delete
  3. Love the yellow crocuses!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the purple crocuses, best, Lea, but the yellow ones certainly are cheery, aren't they?

      Delete
  4. They do look pretty surrounded by snow though. Isn't nature wonderful that something as fragile as little flower stem can cope with what it does?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! Rose, your photos are completely similar to mine! Poor things our flowers and plants. They want to warm under the sun ( and we gardeners too) but this brutal winter stay here till now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing when I saw your post, Nadezda. Hopefully, it won't be long before it's warm enough for them to really bloom.

      Delete
    2. Hoping the spring is warm in your place without snow. Lovely flowers, my tulips are struggling with cold weather and rain.

      Delete
  6. I loved touring your garden. Your Scilla is so pretty! I definitely need to plant some. All of your photographs are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. I love the blue of the Scilla and keep planting more each fall.

      Delete
  7. Even though you have snow it is still fun to see those colorful blooms trying their best to plump up and be bold. It won't be long now and we should have some nice weather. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love seeing these brave little blooms popping up in the snow, Lisa. We spent last week in Texas where it was in the 70's every day, so this was quite a shock to come home to.

      Delete
  8. It's all coming to life. I agree about the snowdrops, they arrive as if by magic. I hope you get some warmer days soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, Alison. I know I looked in this spot just a day or two before and saw no signs of them. Such a nice surprise!

      Delete
  9. Oh gosh, you have quite a few blooms. The only thing that's bloomed outside here so far is a patch of Snowdrops. They're buried now. :( Hopefully, spring will happen faster next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it was so warm the week before, Beth, everything just grew like crazy. I have tulips and daffodils up all over the place, but, of course, they're waiting till spring returns now.

      Delete
  10. Wow!! With all this springflowers you must be very happy Rose. I hope the snow will go away soon and springtemperatures will arrive in your garden.
    Wish you a happy springtime.
    Rosehugs
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow has melted, Marijke, and now we're in for the rainy season:)

      Delete
  11. You have some beautiful blooms are they find their way through winter's blanket of snow. We have had an unusually mild winter here as well on Long Island, until now! Winter Storm Stella brought back winter with snow and freezing rain and now the temperatures refuse to get out of the 30's. I just keep thinking SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella missed us, other than a little snow, Lee. But you certainly had your share of it! The good thing about these late snows is that you know it won't last long.

      Delete
  12. What beautiful spring flowers !! I love all of them !!
    Great to watch the first signs of spring !!
    Have a happy weekend, dear friend !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to see many more spring bloomers, Ela, as the weather warms up in the next few weeks.My favorite time of year!

      Delete
  13. How is everything looking now? Things here have pretty much bounced back. It does tug on the heartstrings, though, to see them droopy or shriveled in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow didn't last long, Jason, so everything is looking much better. Lots of crocuses, hellebores, and the early daffodils are just starting to bloom. I'm trying to get some garden clean-up done, but it looks like we're in for a rainy spell.

      Delete
  14. No green at all in my corner, but I loved seeing your spring begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's looking much more like spring here this week, Pat. Daffodils are in bloom, and small scilla and squill are making an appearance. I love seeing what's new every day!

      Delete
  15. Oh my popping up thru the snow. I hope they all survived to bloom again next year...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these are pretty tough blooms, Troutbirder. They all survived, and the warmer weather this week has brought many more blooms.

      Delete
  16. I love scilla - they are so pretty, even in the snow! It's so hard to go back to winter weather once the signs of spring start showing. It snowed here just yesterday despite somewhat warmer temperatures. I consoled myself by spending time with my indoor seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the color of scilla, Indie. I keep wanting to plant a mass planting of these, but it seems like only a few here and there show up.

      Delete
  17. Isn't snow so heartbreaking at this point in the year! Your poor flowers! I had snowdrops super early this year. No crocus just yet. The weather has been swinging back and forth here too. As you say, spring will arrive when she's good and ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think spring has finally arrived here, Jennifer. All my crocus are blooming, and the daffodils are just starting.

      Delete
  18. That is a lot peeking through the snow. Here, the snow was damaging but we are used to it. The really bad part, is the great fluctuations in temperature. Beautiful images of the early bloomers, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the fluctuating temperatures, Donna. The bulbs will be fine, but I'm not so sure about the lilac. The magnolias and forsythia I saw around town were really hurt by the cold snap.

      Delete
  19. Oh no! I hate when that happens in Maine. I hope your garden survives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it will, Sarah. I noticed the lilac had some new buds on it this week, so all may not be lost. As for the early bulbs, they are tough and took it in stride.

      Delete
  20. The weather does seem to be very topsy turvey this year.
    I feel so sorry for the flowers and trees the weather must mix them up!!!
    They do seem to survive somehow ... or most do.

    Your pictures were so nice to see.

    Take care, keep well

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a strange weather year, Jan. Most of the garden will come through just fine, as long as we don't have a late freeze in April, which sometimes happen. Have a great week!

      Delete
  21. Stunning pics of posies in the snow ... you are way ahead of me! Happy Spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope by now you are getting a few blooms, Joey! Things are really popping up all over here now.

      Delete
  22. Wow, Rose! I hope that is the last of the snow. I love the photos, though. Those blooms showed their beauty in spite of the conditions. Yes, get some more Prairie Smoke Geum plants. They are a fun early bloomer, and look great all season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too, Sue. It's been much more spring-like here the last two weeks, and I'm loving it. I've always loved the 'Prairie Smoke,' so I really must try them again.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.