Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Reflections on 2016

The new year is already a week old, but now that the Christmas decorations have finally been put away, I have some time to reflect on the past year.  2016 was certainly eventful, full of dizzying joys and the depths of despair.  But one of my resolutions for this year is to try to find something positive in every day, so I want to focus on the good parts of 2016.


January 2016 was truly an awful month for me, full of personal loss.  But in spite of all that, the many birds at the feeders provided for some quiet moments of enjoyment and a reminder that life goes on in spite of harsh conditions.


February brought its share of snow, and more time was spent enjoying the wonders of nature from the comfort of my living room window.  By the end of the month, however, we had a reprieve from winter, and daffodils began an early emergence from the soil.


March--can there be anything more uplifting to your spirits than the appearance of the first spring flowers?  March is a fickle month in the Midwest, sometimes bringing the worst of winter weather, but last year all I remember is that it was warm and beautiful.  By the end of the month, daffodils, hyacinths, and many other spring bulbs were in full bloom, and I was busy getting an early start on cleaning up the garden.


April, too, can sometimes break your heart with a teasing of spring that disappears under more cold or constant days of rain.  But not so last year--April 2016 was glorious!  Spring, as I've often said, is my favorite season of the year, and last year's spring was exceptional with warm weather and a daily explosion of blooms from all my tulips.  New green growth was sprouting everywhere.


A warm April meant that most of the tulips and other spring bloomers had faded by the first of May.  Irises and peonies took center stage instead, although the month was more of a transition time in the garden.  May is always the busiest month for me, as I plant containers and annuals in the flowerbeds and try to complete a host of other garden chores.  My resolution for this year is try to slow down and enjoy this beautiful month more, although I suspect that will be hard to change.


Ah, June--my favorite month of the year.  The garden was bursting with color by mid-month, but it didn't take me long to choose one photo of the many I took during this time: coneflowers and butterflies--two of my favorites!  If it was possible to freeze time and just live one day over and over again, I would pick a sunny day in June with swaths of coneflowers blooming and alive with bees and butterflies.


July brought even more color as coneflowers competed with lilies, a new one blooming each day it seemed.  I've become addicted to all kinds of lilies and can't really pick a favorite although 'Stargazer,' which grew to new heights this year, would definitely be a contender.


If coneflowers represent June and lilies represent July, then the perfect choice for August would have to be zinnias.  I've shown the 'Zowie' zinnias, one of my favorites, over and over again on Facebook and on summer posts here, but I did grow other zinnias as well.  All of them performed exceptionally this year, probably due to the weather.  It was a warm summer--not ungodly hot, but consistently hot throughout the season so that garden work was relegated to early mornings only.  Besides the warm weather, we had consistent rainfall as well, so that everything seemed to grow taller and fuller than ever before.


September brought asters, goldenrod, the 'Limelight' hydrangea, and Japanese anemones as well as a few other fall-bloomers. The heat continued through the last month of summer, and I spent many moments enjoying the shade of the front porch watching the goldfinches feast on the fading coneflowers and the antics of hummingbirds.  The warm weather meant the hummers stayed longer than usual; my last visitor stayed until the second week of October.



By October, much of the garden sensed the end of the year, though continued warm weather--and no frost!--kept many things blooming longer than usual.  The Amsonia hubrichtii, which usually has a golden hue by October, stayed nearly green until November.  The trees were slow to turn as well, and many didn't drop their leaves until December.


If one month symbolizes the extreme highs and lows of 2016, it has to be November.  On November 2, the Cubs won the World Series, ending a 108-year drought for long-suffering Cubs fans like myself.  Unless you're a baseball fan, you probably won't understand the joyous delirium we all felt. But you will understand the joy I felt just three days later when my 8th grandchild, a precious little girl, was born.  The other two granddaughters are older, so I am looking forward to tea parties and princess and fairy make-believe once again!

As for the low, well, the following week was the Presidential election.  Nothing else needs to be said, although I have vowed to try to be kinder and to be more active, speaking up for what I believe in the coming year.

As for the garden, the first frost finally arrived on November 12, the latest first frost ever recorded in our area.  So whatever else can be said about 2016, it was a great year in the garden--the longest blooming season in my memory!



By December, bulbs had been planted, and the garden was going into its long winter's sleep.  There was time at last to prepare for the holidays and to make the much-anticipated trip to Texas to meet my new granddaughter.  This may not be the best photograph, technically speaking, but it's my favorite of 2016 because the year ended on such a positive note.  This is what it's all about--family and sharing life with those you love.

We don't know what 2017 may bring for the garden, but I know whether it's an outstanding year or just a mediocre one, we gardeners won't give up hope.  And that is what I wish for all of you in the coming year--hope, peace, and love.  As Ellen says, "Be kind to one another."  💕

44 comments:

  1. Lovely post and what a beautiful new grandchild. She will help you look past all the bad news. And of course, many of us in WI are Cubbies fans so that was a memorable moment. I thought it was a good omen for the election. Was I wrong! I am trying to think positive and be kind as well. The best and worst of years, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. To think all of those events occurred in the course of one week--what a whirlwind of emotions! Watching the news tends to make me stress out, but I think it's more important than ever before to stay informed and do what we can.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pictures and very meaningful reminiscences of the year just past. I really have to try those 'Zowie' zinnias this year. And your granddaughter is simply precious! But you already know that, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I may be a wee bit prejudiced, Dorothy, but I do think my granddaughter is beautiful:) I think I've convinced a lot of people to try the 'Zowie' zinnias--so easy to grow and such a butterfly magnet!

      Delete
  3. Very nice summary of your 2016 Gardening ending on a very high note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daniela. When I thought back on the last year, I thought it had been a terrible one for me, but as I remembered more and more I realized how many wonderful things had happened, especially at the end of the year.

      Delete
  4. Hello dear friend Rose! Happy New Year! Your surely are blessed with your baby granddaughter Congratulations!! It was a joy looking through your garden evolve in 2016! Joy and Happiness certainly takes wing in your heart with the addition of your sweet granddaughter!xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind words and wishes, Anna. Grandchildren are such a blessing; I hope to take another trip South very soon to see her and her little brother again.

      Delete
  5. What a sweet little granddaughter! You are truly blessed! So nice to follow you through the months of 2016. Your garden is gorgeous, as usual and I'm envious of your pics. I just use my cell phone now - so convenient, but really the pics are much better with a proper camera. Yours are so clear!

    All the best for 2017 - I think it will be a good year - we must remain positive.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Wendy--of course, I tried to pick the best photo each month, so there were many bad ones you didn't see:) It's easy to get weighed down with negativity when we're bombarded with so many bad things in the news, so I think it's important to stay as positive as we can. Once gardening season begins again, that will be easier to do, of course!

      Delete
  6. I so appreciate this uplifting post about last year. It makes it easier to look forward to this new year despite the cold, rain, and wind that has been pounding. Beautiful photos, especially of that sweet new granddaughter. What a way to end a dreary year and begin a fresh new year. Hope, love, and family. The best, and of course a few flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I didn't realize how many good things happened last year until I started reflecting on each month. It really was a great year in the garden for us--I know you didn't get all the rain we did. Here's hoping to another great season! First, though, we're in for an ice storm this weekend:(

      Delete
  7. Well your granddaughter was the trump card........ what a lovely baby.
    Looking forward to seeing the Spring bulbs in my own garden...... after looking at yours! It's getting slightly lighter in the evenings!

    Great photos.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good pun, Maggie:) Love trumps hate every time! We're in the midst of nasty winter weather--mostly ice--so I don't think we'll be see spring blooms for awhile. Take care!

      Delete
  8. Lovely gardenvieuw over 2016 Rose. Your granddaughter is so beautiful. What a blessing it is!
    Have a wonderful day and may 2017 bring you only joy and beautiful moments.
    Rosehugs
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marijke! Going through all the photos reminded me that 2016 was really a great year for the garden, capped off by the arrival of my granddaughter, the best gift of all.

      Delete
  9. So much goodness in 2016--thanks for the reminders. :) Your grandchildren are so beautiful, and now a new sweet little one. You're right: Even in a difficult year, there are so many joys to be thankful for--especially for gardeners! Blessings to you and your family in the year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been dwelling on the negative too often, Beth, especially when I watch the news or read too many political posts on Facebook. Writing this post was a great reminder that there were so many joys last year as well. Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete
  10. What a very nice look back through 2016, it's always a joy to see your photographs.

    Your new grand-daughter is gorgeous, that last photo is most special.

    I do so agree with you, during 2017, we should all focus on finding something positive in every day ...
    My good wishes for 2017 to you and yours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. It's easy to look only at the negative when we are bombarded with so many new stories of that type. But spending time with the grandkids is the best way to turn those feelings around. And later, spending time in the garden, of course:)

      Delete
  11. Yah, Cubbies. I enjoyed your month by month look, Rose. Lots of birds and insects and your wonderful granddaughter. The weather is a bit cold now, but all the beauty of flowers is waiting under the cold soil to reappear in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna--yes, I still get a happy feeling when I think of the World Series this past year:) As I was refilling the bird feeders yesterday, I noticed how green and huge the hellebore leaves were--something to look forward to!

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year Rose girl ! and congratulations on this sweet little grandbaby girl ! The picture is perfect and those tea parties are going to be loads of smiles and giggles for you.
    Your post was a wonderful run down of 2016 in your garden and life .. I may take a page from your book and mention it is a credit to you of course .. no plagiarism without acknowledgment!! hahaha
    I am so with you on the matter of putting things away and not being able to find them .. I hope by now you have found those amaryllis bulbs !! LOL .. I know how it can drive us bonkers until the mission is completed.
    Hope .. gardeners are exactly THAT .. embodiment of HOPE! .. so I will hold on to that in matters of the treadmill and actually organizing my theoretical garden renovations (they always look better on paper or computer file right?) .. Yes .. let us hope also that people will be more empathetic and kinder to each other .. I have to remember that myself .. in fact I was really good about not going on and on about your election to my dil (who is American and a Republican .. go figure .. such fertile ground to play in ? haha .. but I love her to pieces so I was GOOD !) .. OK .. I better stop while I am still good ! haha .. now find those bulbs girl !
    Take care
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! No, I still haven't found those amaryllis. I'll probably find them about the time the tulips start blooming outside:) I think my resolution for 2017 should be to write down everything! Looking forward to reading your next post.

      Delete
  13. Rose, interesting post! You showed us your garden in different months, how it grows and blooms. Sure your new granddaughter is the best flower of 2016. And you're right, we gardeners don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Nadezda--my granddaughter was the best bloom of 2016!

      Delete
  14. Hello Rose!
    Beautiful reflective post.
    I am delighted with your wonderful photos.
    Greetings from cold Poland.
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucja-Maria, for stopping by! It's not so cold here now, a few weeks after I posted this. We're still waiting for the first real snowfall!

      Delete
  15. Sweet Rose, a poetic synopsis of the year. I know 2016 was a rough for you in so many ways. I'm hugging you from afar. I love what you wrote, "a reminder that life goes on in spite of harsh conditions." That is beautiful, and so is your garden. I'm glad you get more grandchildren to play fairy tea parties with. I look forward to the day when I have grandchildren. One day. We have a wedding and two graduations this year. That makes me very happy and nostalgic too. As for 2016, well, it seemed long. Love you lots.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee, for those kind words. I try not to post negative things, but the past year was hard, for more reasons than I've even mentioned. But grandchildren make it all worthwhile. What a wonderful year you have in store for you--some big changes, but happy ones. Enjoy!

      Delete
  16. Your pictures are wondrous! And what a sweet baby.
    I also felt the low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. I'm ready for another trip to see my granddaughter any time--I miss her already!

      Delete
  17. Wonderful, wonderful pictures from the Nuthatch to your adorable new grandchild. I too am falling in love with lilies but they don't seem to be very long-lived in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. Lilies have done pretty well for me, though I have no idea why. Over the past eight years I've gone from having just a couple to becoming a lily addict:)

      Delete
  18. Always nice to visit your blog, Rose !!
    Gorgeous photos of your beautiful garden !!
    Happy Sunday !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ela. Looking forward to seeing some blooms in the garden again!

      Delete
  19. This was a beautiful post and reflection on the year past, with so many special memories, including the arrival of your new grandchild. I enjoyed all the amazing photos and going on your journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. It's always fun to go through photos of the past garden season, especially when it's gray and gloomy outside day after day.

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful way of remembering the year and to finish with your newest grandchild - what could be more perfect?

    Have a beautiful 2017 and I look forward to sharing it with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. 2016 couldn't have ended in a better way!

      Delete
  21. Congratulations on your latest grandchild! I love seeing the year in photos and your positive sentiment. It has been a tough year, but kind people like you make it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. Being kinder and trying to do something to make a difference are the only ways I can cope with what is going on in our country right now.

      Delete
  22. A beautiful post Rose.......positive, lovely images and a darling baby girl.
    I must confess I struggled last year. It was so packed with raw emotion, especially where my darling Grandchildren were concerned. Time moves on Rose and I agree living in the moment is the best way forward. I take things a day at a time.

    Enjoy baby girl.........how I envy you the tea parties and fairies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I know the past year was hard for you, too. Gardening and good friends got me through some dark times, and I hope they did the same for you. I'm a worrier by nature, so trying to live in the moment doesn't come naturally, but I'm trying:) Little girls grow up so fast, don't they? Seems like only yesterday Poppy as well as my Emily were playing princess dress-up.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.