Monday, September 26, 2016

Lessons Learned From the Back Porch

The autumnal equinox arrived this past Thursday without much fanfare.  The weatherman on the local TV station talked about it, of course, but then apologized for the continuing heat in the forecast.  I did go out and buy some pansies and a few other fall annuals to replace the awful-looking dead petunias next to my front door, but  I didn't get carried away.  It's hard to think of pumpkins and mums when it's 90 degrees outside.

The asters and goldenrod apparently got the notice that it is autumn.
By the time I get this posted, however, the weather is supposed to change, with more reasonable temperatures in the 70's this week, and I won't have anything to complain about anymore--ha!  While I wait for those welcome cooler days, it's a good time to sit down and reflect on the past season for Beth's seasonal meme "Lessons Learned in the Garden."

While I'm sure I learned many new things this past season, my mind is drawing a blank.  The problem is that by mid-July, I lost all my motivation for serious gardening.  By that time I was tired of constantly pulling weeds: the consistent rain this season was a blessing, but at the same time it meant the weeds flourished, too.  After an hour or two of weeding or trimming or picking green beans, the sweat was rolling into my eyes, and I gave up.  I guess that means I've learned that I am a fair-weather gardener--if it's hot and buggy, I'm staying indoors.



Instead of doing much actual garden work for the past two months, I have spent a lot of time on my front porch noting all that has to be done and making plans for those perfect "somedays" when the temps are are in the 70's, the bugs have stopped biting, and I'm full of energy.


From my shady perch on the porch swing, I can easily see the coneflowers when they're in full bloom and get a partial view of the lily bed and even the arbor bed beyond that.


If I stand up and crane my neck a little, I can even see parts of the shade garden as well.  The best part about this viewing at a distance is that I don't really see the weeds or the deadheading that needs to be done, and I can just relax and procrastinate to my heart's content.


With several planters on or near the front porch, I have much to enjoy close-up as well, such as this hibiscus.  Fortunately, the only upkeep these planters require is frequent watering, which I do pretty faithfully since it doesn't mean working up a sweat.


Besides looking at what is blooming, my place on the porch gives me a great vantage point for watching all the visitors to my garden.  When the coneflowers bloom, the nearby sidewalk garden is alive with butterflies.  And with only a few short steps, I can get up close to observe and photograph them.


Once the coneflowers have faded, the butterflies are replaced by the goldfinches who are constantly feeding on their seedheads.  From the porch's front step I can zoom out with the camera to get a photo if I'm lucky.


The porch gives me a great vantage point, too, for observing all kinds of bird activity throughout the seasons besides the goldfinches, from hawks swooping through the air looking for prey to cardinals feasting on the tiny crabapples.  But my favorite bird activity is only a few feet away as the hummingbirds visit the feeder just beyond the swing.


I love watching them hover in the air and then battle each other for rights to the feeder.  And if I happen to have my camera and am very, very quick, I might just get lucky enough to get one decent photo of them all summer feeding at one of their favorites, the 'Black and Blue' Salvia.


Sometimes I don't even have to look very far as bees visit the planters on the porch or even more fascinating creatures come for a short while.  Yes, you never know who will come to visit!

Tiny syrphid flies are just one of the many pollinating insects to be found in the garden.
Looking through all these photos, I am reminded that I have learned another lesson this summer--I have learned much more about pollinators.  I took a few hours' training to become a "Pollinator Pocket" presenter, a program developed by our local Extension Office.  I learned so much about different insects and other pollinators and their life cycles.



I also learned more about the needs of these different pollinators, including plants that will help to feed them.  I already knew that asters and other late-blooming plants provide a valuable food source in the fall.  But a local beekeeper at the workshop reminded everyone that bees need food in the early spring as well, and he encouraged us all to plant more crocuses because they are one of the few sources of food very early in the spring.  You can be sure when I placed my bulb orders this past week that I ordered plenty of crocuses!

Not sure what type of bumble this big guy is.

Earlier in the summer I also attended a talk by Dr. Sydney Cameron, an entomologist specializing in bumblebees, on the rare Rusty-patched Bumblebee Bombus affinis.  We watched a short but fascinating documentary on this bee called "A Ghost in the Making," which you can find here on YouTube.  The rusty-patched bumblebee was once very common in parts of the U.S., but for reasons unknown its numbers have dwindled, and it is now being considered as an endangered species.

This talk inspired me to look more closely at the bumblebees in my own garden, and while I can't identify them by type, I know that my visitors are the much more common species normally seen throughout this area.  Still, I am searching for that elusive rusty-patched bumblebee!

Linda of Each Little World and Lisa of Greenbow enjoy chatting with Susan.
One of the places where this rare bumblebee has been spotted in recent years is at the University of Wisconsin Arboretum.  On a visit to Madison earlier this month to meet up with a few fellow bloggers,  Beth introduced us to Susan Carpenter, Native Plant Gardener at the Arboretum.  As she was talking about her work here, she happened to bring up the rusty-patched bumblebee and mentioned that part of the film I had seen was filmed at the Arboretum.  Talk about coincidence!


We didn't find any rusty-patched bumblebees on this day, but we did see many other species, and Susan mentioned that one of their favorite plants this time of year is the native thistle.

Looking back, I realize that maybe I did learn more this summer than I realized.  I know I'm going to be more conscious of pollinators and do what I can to increase their numbers in my garden.  And while I've enjoyed the past two months on the porch, this morning is much cooler and pleasant, so it's time to get off that swing and get to work!


For more reflections on lessons learned in the garden this past season, be sure to stop by Beth's at Plant Postings.

37 comments:

  1. Bellissime immagini!! La salvia mi ha colpito! Sembra una Amistad ma con i fiori blu! Mi colpisce poi come tutte le perenni siano belle dritte e ordinate! Complimenti!

    Un saluto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your approach to gardening, Rose! Sometimes I think we're all too focused on accomplishing things that we forget to observe and learn and enjoy our gardens. Great photos! I especially like the one with the cute hummingbird contemplating the feeder. The same thing happened to me today with a chubby juvenile who must have sat on the feeder for a good 5 minutes. Part of me wants him to stay here as long as possible, and part of me wants him to escape to the warmth of the south soon. But we should have a couple more weeks, at least, before we have a frost. These last warm days of the growing season are treasures! Thanks for participating in the meme. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen fewer hummingbirds the past few days, Beth, so I think they may be starting their migration. I've been keeping the feeders full to make sure they have plenty of fuel for their long trip! It's always a bit sad to see them go.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful pictures and, obviously, some very valuable lessons learned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy. Now that the weather is turning cooler, I have no excuses for procrastinating:)

      Delete
  4. You have learned many important things Rose. I agree to weed in very hot days is hard work, I don't do this although I forgot when very hot days were here :D)
    Love your photos from your porch, here are different kinds of bumblebee as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a hot summer, Nadezda, and the older I get, the more the heat seems to get to me. I've really come to enjoy the bumblebees; there is a local group that identifies bees if you submit a photo online, which has helped me to identify some of them.

      Delete
  5. Some really great lessons there on the porch! That is the definitely the place to be. What a bunch of wonderful views you have too! Pollinators are so great and it certainly looks as if you are doing your part to help them out. Love the hummingbird photo! P.S. I just bought a bunch of crocuses too. Bees do love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike the patio, the porch is always shady, which is why I like it, Tina, plus it looks out on the front yard which gives me a great view of all the birds. I don't usually see many bees when the crocuses bloom, but I'm going to take the expert's opinion and make sure the early bees have some food source.

      Delete
  6. I just love this post Rose. It makes me feel better about my gardening practices knowing I am not the only one that does not do much in the heat and bugs. While I like bugs (unless they are biting me) I hate the heat. You have some gorgeous photos here. You need to keep them handy to look at during the deep cold of winter. Think about those garden plans you made while sitting on the porch. I will too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm a wimp when it comes to heat, Lisa:) For the last month or so late evenings have been more comfortable for working outside, but then those darn bugs pester me! Yes, I make lots of plans while sitting...I need to win the lottery so I can hire someone to put all those plans into action:)

      Delete
  7. It amazes me how you can get such lovely pictures of birds and butterflies as well as flowers.
    Your garden always looks beautiful and full of interest.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie. The butterflies are not so hard to photograph, because they usually sit still on the flowers for awhile, sucking up the nectar. But the hummingbirds are much too fast! I'm lucky to get one decent photo all summer of them.

      Delete
  8. "I am a fair-weather gardener--if it's hot and buggy, I'm staying indoors."
    Yes, I would too Rose!

    I've enjoyed reading your post and seeing your lovely photographs.
    Your coneflowers look gorgeous, and there is always plenty to see and enjoy in your garden.

    Hope the weather has now cooled down a little.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way, Jan. I really don't take the heat very well. But I forget the heat as I'm following butterflies and bees around. This week has been cooler, thank goodness!

      Delete
  9. I love this post, Rose! I found myself doing a lot of procrastinating this season, too. I did most of it from inside the house, though. I did manage to see a few hummingbirds. I plant black and blue salvia for them, too. I haven't seen birds on the coneflowers yet. I wish I was better able to identify the different kinds of bees we see here. I don't think we are in an area where the rusty patch ones are, though. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I hope you left enough roots on the pitcher sage that some come up in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I'm glad to know I'm not the only procrastinator around. The older I get, the more the heat gets to me. There is a website called "Bee Spotter" that tracks bees in Illinois and a couple more surrounding states. You can submit a photo online, and they'll identify it, which is kind of fun to know. I do hope, too, the roots of the pitcher sage are still there--I really like that plant and am mad at myself for forgetting where it was.

      Delete
  10. I loved this post. Thank you so much for it. It made me think about how much I have stopped loving gardening because of where I live. It also caused me to have some new thoughts about bees as pollinators. I think we have such a lack of balance in our area because the mule deer population are decimating our landscapes. When the flowers go, so do the birds and bees. I hope to put together a post on what I learned from you and what I have observed from my own deck and porch as I have lamented over my gardening experience. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Sally! I don't have much of a problem with deer here, for some reason--perhaps it's because they have fields of grain all around my yard to munch on instead. I know there isn't a truly deer-resistant plant, but I'd check out some plants that they tend to avoid to plant in your garden. I hope you can find something that can withstand their munching!

      Delete
  11. Your garden is beautiful Rose, with many of my favorite visitors to your plants. This summer was disappointing with the drought and heat, but it did not stop the birds and pollinators from coming. It was the only reason to keep the plants hydrated at the crazy cost for public water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. We were very lucky this summer with frequent rain showers, so I didn't have to water as much as some years. I'm still watching hummingbirds at the feeders, which seems rather late this year.

      Delete
  12. This has been a very wet late summer and fall for us. I keep thinking I could get out and do some clean-up, but it seems to rain every day! I'm ready for some dry, crisp, fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got much done either, Cassi. It seems like the days I have time to work outside it's raining, although this week has been better. My bulb orders should be coming in any time, though, and I sure hope I have enough good days to get them all planted!

      Delete
  13. Wow !! Charming summer photos! Always nice to see visitors of your garden !
    Nature is so wonderful ! I love this post, Rose !
    Greetings !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ela. I do enjoy watching all the creatures that visit my garden.

      Delete
  14. Always a joy to visit your gardens, Rose. Thank you for sharing. Although I post daily on FB, my poor blog thirsted all summer but am back trying to make up. All is winding down in my garden and beginning to put areas to bed. :(
    Happy Autumn! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy your Facebook posts, Joey. Things are winding down here, too, but there is still so much in bloom I may not do much in the way of clean-up till after the first frost. And there's always spring to finish up:)

      Delete
  15. Great post. I love your critter photographs - the goldfinch, hummingbirds, and praying mantis. Also, that's a gorgeous planter on your porch. I was out in the drizzle over the weekend planting some pansies and daffodil bulbs, and the mosquitoes were a major nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. I don't do a lot of fall annuals, but a few are nice, especially by the front door to replace the tired blooms of summer. Hope those mosquitos go away soon, because I have lots of bulbs to plant!

      Delete
  16. Hi Rose and thank you for this article! You have a great Command Post there! You can see everything from it!
    I'll start looking at my bumblebees more close.
    Very good pictures! Those hummingbirds sure love 'Black and blue'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tatyana, I love just sitting on the porch, and it's far enough away I don't see all the imperfections:) 'Black and Blue' is definitely a hummingbird magnet.

      Delete
  17. The heat has made it difficult to be motivated this summer. There have been days when I dreaded going out into the blistering sun. Mostly I try to garden in the morning, but that isn't always possible.
    Interesting to learn about the Rusty-patched bee. It is amazing to think that a type of bee is endangered. How did we get to this point?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful as always Rose
    I'm missing my garden but it's lovely to see yours instead!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden is always an inspiration. The amazing aster in my garden is the low growing Woods Blue. It makes a great groundcover with long lasting blossoms. I love it. I have a couple of other asters, but they are nameless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.