Sunday, May 15, 2016

A Chilly May Bloom Day


When I was a girl, my father used to watch the local weather forecasts religiously.  I thought he was rather obsessed with it, even though he was a farmer whose livelihood depended on the weather.  As for me,  if it was cold, I put on an extra coat or sweater; if it was raining, I wore a jacket with a hood--what else did you need to know?

Fast forward a few many years later, and I have turned into my father. For the past few weeks, especially, I have checked the forecast every morning, looking at both the hourly and the long-range forecasts:  what time will the rain start today?  Is there one sunny day this week I can work in the garden??  We've had so many rainy days lately that farmers are beginning to worry if they can get their crops planted in time, and workdays in the garden have been few and far between.  I've been especially concerned about the Nursing Home garden where I volunteer on Mondays--we've had to cancel so many workdays recently because it always seems to rain on Mondays!

On top of the rain, the temperatures dropped to an unusual low this weekend with frost warnings for last night and tonight.

A few hardier plants were left outside to fend for themselves.

I went on a major plant shopping spree last week with my friend Beckie, and all those plants were sitting on my back porch and patio waiting for dry weather to plant.  When I heard the forecast for frost, I tucked most of the plants into the barn for protection and covered up my blooming clematis.  Fortunately, there was no frost on the ground this morning, and all the blooming perennials were fine.  But we have one more night to get through before I feel safe enough to bring everything out once again.

Oh well, such is the life of a gardener.  In a couple of months, I'll probably be complaining about the heat and the lack of rain:)  Since there's nothing we can do about the weather, let's take a look at what is blooming on this chilly and windy May Bloom Day.


Some of my friends farther north are concerned about their lilacs this weekend, but that was one thing I didn't have to worry about since they have already finished blooming here.  Little 'Scent and Sensibility' above was covered in pink blooms, and the 'Bloomerang' lilac did well, too.  But my old-fashioned, huge lilac was a disappointment this year.  There were fewer blooms than last year, and they weren't as large as usual.  I've decided this large shrub needs a good pruning soon, but talking to friends, I found I wasn't the only one with this problem.  It may have been a late freeze in April that nipped and stunted this year's blooms.


'Jack Frost' Brunnera is almost finished blooming, but a few tiny blue flowers still remain.


More small blooms that I love on the Solomon's Seal.


The Lamium is also sporting its purple blooms right now.  Plants in the shade garden seem to have doubled in size in the past week, making me wish I'd gotten busy and divided more of them earlier.  The Lamium and the Sweet Woodruff in the forefront, though, are definitely getting moved or culled soon before they engulf this poor hosta!


One of my favorite spring blooms is Amsonia.  Both the Amsonia tabernaemontana above and the Amsonia hubrichtii have done extremely well here, unlike my poor Baptisia which has fallen victim to some kind of varmint, I'm afraid.


Love these pale blue blooms!


Most of the garden is still in that lull between spring and summer blooms, so 'Purple Sensation' Allium really stands out among all the green foliage.


Not much blooming in the Butterfly Garden either, except for Phlox pilosa, which has made itself quite at home here.  This was a gift some years back from Gail at Clay and Limestone, who has gifted many with this practically perfect native.


The blue columbines I planted several years ago have not returned, but this reddish lovely has been a faithful returnee for several years.


It's also iris season.  All of my irises are passalongs, so I don't know their names,
 but I enjoy them nonetheless.


I have several of these lavender lovelies.


My favorite--this is the first time it's bloomed. 
 I'm pretty sure this is one that Beth of Plant Postings gave me; I love it!


Finally, one of my favorite blooms this time of year--'Nelly Moser.'  I'm so happy to see her full of blooms this year after a disappointing show last year.  She's the only plant I took time to cover up last night just to make sure she wasn't nipped by the cold; I can't wait to take off her covers tomorrow to enjoy her blooms again.


There are more blooms, as well--Nepeta, 'May Night' Salvia, and Bleeding Heart, to name a few.  But soon there will be many more, and as you can see, I'm anxiously waiting for the peony show to begin!

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is celebrated monthly on the 15th and is hosted by the ever-optimistic Carol at May Dreams Gardens.  
















39 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I especially liked the 'Jack Frost' Brunnera - what a great color! Happy bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brunnera is one of my favorites, too, Renee. Not too many plants have blooms that lovely shade of blue.

      Delete
  2. I am with you about the weather. It has been crazy this spring. The poppy is showing with great anticipation. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has, Lisa. I think we're in for sunshine and warmer temps the next few days, so you know where I will be:) I need to go check that peony bloom--I think it may have opened!

      Delete
  3. Your intro about turning into your dad had me chuckling. I find myself saying that about my parents frequently, too. :) That purple and white Iris does, indeed, look like the ones I have--I'm so glad it's blooming for you! That combination of Sweet Woodruff, Lamium, and the Hosta is delightful. All the blooms you show look healthy, full, and vibrant. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I was disappointed last year when I didn't see any signs of the irises you gave me. I thought I had accidentally pulled them out, so I was so excited to see the blooms this year. They are gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. It sounds a bit crazy with frost warnings in May, but here I am sitting in Portland, OR wearing a turtle neck and a jacket. Our high for today is said to be 64F, so I think the weather is a bit wonky all around the world. You have a lot of pretty blooms in your garden, Rose. I hope you get the perfect planting day soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, didn't you just have temps in the 90's?? Crazy weather indeed. The next week looks much better, so I am going to be planting and weeding like crazy!

      Delete
  5. The climate change research I did for my class says that IL will see springs with later last-frost dates, and with much more (and more intense) rain, which is expected to disrupt spring planting for farmers. Also drier summers, which will decrease the overall crop yields. It's going to take some getting used to for us gardeners as well! Your flowers look great, though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely does not sound good, Cassi! I may have to invest in more rain barrels, but I don't know what farmers will do.

      Delete
  6. Lovely blooms. My favorites are the brunnera, the allium, and the irises, especially the purple and white one. I'm always envious of gardeners who are successful growers of irises since I've been notably unsuccessful with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irises do very well, here, Dorothy, though I don't have many of them. I need to find a place where they aren't crowded out by all my other plants. They were one of my Mom's favorites, and there are so many blooms this year at my Dad's house.

      Delete
  7. Hello again,
    Years ago you complained one bllomday that your garden was overrun by Ipomaea / Morning Glory.
    I couldn't and still can't get it to grow and was rather envious of your riches. Will you be sowing seed again this summer?
    I like the plants with the whitish leaves.


    joanna uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joanna! I don't remember being overrun by morning glories, though they can get carried away here. I especially like 'Heavenly Blue.' I do have seed for it, but not sure if I'll plant it this year.

      Delete
  8. I think the weather has been 'out of order' in many parts of the world. We have recently had some pleasant sun, but cool nights and apparently tomorrow parts of the UK are going to have a weeks rainfall in one day!!!
    The poor plants don't know whether they are coming or going ... so to speak.

    You have shown some lovely blooms in this post and the colours, especially the iris, are lovely. I also like the 'Purple Sensation' Allium ...

    Hope the rest of the week and month go well for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Jan; everyone has been complaining about the weather. I'm looking forward to a good week ahead, and maybe I'll get caught up on the gardening:)

      Delete
  9. I have a weather gene inheretid from my dad too! I check daily and look at the long range weather and the pressure systems! A hopeless case!
    Lovely photos as always:)
    PS I dreamed about you last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think my Dad was a little crazy for checking the weather so often, Suburbia:) I have changed my mind, but I'm not as bad as my good friend who watches the Weather Channel all the time and could tell you what the weather is like anywhere in the U.S. A dream about me? I hope it wasn't a nightmare:)

      Delete
  10. Hi Rose! Lovely blooms! Brunnera is always catching my attention. My plant was sitting for several years looking miserable, but, at last, started to grow last season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a second Brunnera that has done much the same thing, Tatyana--I didn't think it would ever grow!

      Delete
  11. Happy GBBD! My mom and I are both addicted to weather forecasts too and we aren't farmers or avid gardeners. We just like knowing before we get dressed or plan our days. We both enjoy long walks. Your garden is stunning, especially that pink lilac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend is a weather nerd, too--she can tell you what the temperature is in any part of the country on any given day:)

      Delete
  12. Amsonia is a favorite of mine, also. You have a truly massive clump of it in your garden! I find they are slow to develop but tough as nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, I fell in love with amsonia when I first saw it at the Lurie Garden. I don't remember how old mine is, maybe 5 years. I even divided it, and both division took off like crazy after the second season.

      Delete
  13. Your gardens are stunning Rose. We had a cool start to spring here as well on Long Island. I can relate with you on the weather. A sunny day is a day to work in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. I feel irritated whenever I have appointments, etc. on sunny days--wasting that precious time indoors!

      Delete
  14. Your Amsonia is so much denser than mine is. I feel like mine is short and feathery. It's 'Halfway to Arkansas' which might be a dwarf variety? What I wanted was the one at the U of I Garden, where we start the Master Gardener's Walk. After 2.5 years, I've finally come to the conclusion the one I bought is not going to get that big - because it's not the same. Time to go back to the garden center

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that variety, ShellE, but it does sound like a dwarf variety. I don't know what cultivar mine is, but I'm pretty sure I got a start of it from the Idea Garden you mention. When I volunteered there, we would often have divisions that we could take home for a small donation. Anything I ever brought home from there has grown like crazy! I dug my amsonia up after a couple of years--I don't recommend this--because it was too big for its spot and divided it. Not only do I have two big plants, but there are volunteers in the original spot! If you go to the Garden Walk this year, I'll be at the garden in Philo in the morning--I'd love to meet you!

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden is so beautiful, Rose !! I love all your blooms ! But my favorites are the brunnera and clematis !!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rose, what a treat to see your clematis, lilac, Solomon's Seal, columbina, onions... You're ahead of my garden. Happy belated GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's evident your garden is loving the rain and even the cooler weather. I know I've been enjoying it. Weather is a fickle thing but it sure gives us something to ponder on. Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many gorgeous blooms! I feel it has been crazy weather everywhere. I just love your 'Jack Frost' Brunnera. It's been on my list for awhile - one of these days! There's not a whole lot blooming in my garden at the moment. It's downtime between the spring blooms and the summer explosion. My irises are just starting, so we must be a little behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything looks great! My peony never bloomed and I wonder if our own weird weather was the reason. April was warm, dry, and windy and May has been crazy rainy. I love the alliums with the amsonia. Great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like you Rose, I check the weather all the time. It seems to go along with gardening. We had a very cold spring and now insane heat. On the weekend we had mid-summer temperatures and humidity, which makes your wonder what July weather will bring. Time will tell...

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful photos! I am in the process of making a new garden and there were no real blooms in May this year, but things are picking up. This year's spring weather certainly did keep us on our toes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely gorgeous! I adore the scent of lilacs and always stop to sniff when passing them on a walk. Husband 'pruned' ours a few years ago and it's never been the same since.
    He's like you regarding the weather forecast. I look outside - and on the bright side 'it's not going to rain on me' - while he religiously consults the hour by hour forecast before doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everything was looking lovely in May! I particularly love the leaves of that variety of Lamium.

    I know what you mean about piling on clothes when we were young and it was cold and putting rain wear & oilskins on if it was raining and just getting on with things. It seems so hard to regulate our body temperature these days, don't you think? Gardening in the rain or cold is not so easy!
    Let's press on! Looks like rain today and I was going to sweep the paths and tidy up!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funny you should say your lilacs didn't do well - ours (upstate New York) didn't, either. I so loved your alliums. I don't know why I don't plant more of these beauties. Happy GBBD! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.