Saturday, April 16, 2016

GBBD: The Case of the Mysterious Yellow Tulips

It was a dark and stormy night. . . . no,no, that's not right . . . It was a beautiful spring day with skies of the bluest blue and no hint of frost in the air.  As I let the dogs out for their morning outing, I sensed something different in the air--no wind blasting me in the face, and temperatures already promising a day when I could finally shed my winter coat.  As I ventured further outside to see where the dogs had gone off to, I noticed something else that was different--the tulips were finally blooming!

Anyone who has visited this blog in the spring before, knows that I love tulips and that tulip time is my absolute favorite time of year.  Every fall I drool over all the different varieties of tulips in the catalogs and order twice as many I had intended to.  And every year, as I hurriedly rush to finish the bulb-planting before winter makes its appearance, I look at the remaining tulip bulbs, wondering where in the world I will plant them.  There is a last-minute scramble to plant them here and there, with no thought to the original careful plans for color coordination and bloom time.  Not surprisingly, this results in some surprises every spring.


On this fine spring day, as I walked around, delighting in all the new blooms, I noticed something unexpected--almost all the tulips in bloom were yellow!  The first tulips which appeared in the arbor bed nearly a week ago were yellow.


The thing is, I don't even like yellow, especially the bright happy-face sticker kind of yellow.  At least these are a paler yellow, but still.


They were everywhere!  One solitary brighter yellow in the Lily Bed.


And more in the sidewalk bed (bordered by the dead Encore Azalea that I refuse to admit is dead). A few of these might be 'Vanilla Cream,' which I do remember planting, but I expected them to be more cream, not yellow.


Every single flower bed--except one--had yellow tulips.  If you look closely, you'll notice a little critter on this one--apparently, they like yellow better than I do.


The only place that didn't have yellow tulips was the Roadside Bed, where these pinkish tulips are blooming.  But I'm lucky to have any tulips at all in this area: last fall squirrels, voles, or some other marauding creature dug around in this garden and not only ate most of my bulbs, but destroyed a lot of other plants as well.  But that's a story for another day.



To be honest, the last day or two I've noticed a few other colors here and there in the garden.  'Red Impression' tulips above in the Arbor Bed.


And a pink-peachy blend have opened up in the Sidewalk Bed--'Ad Rem,' I think.  Their color really changes as they open up during the day and as the light hits them.


Pink tulips blooming in between the shrubs in front of the house--if all I had seen lately were pink tulips, I wouldn't have been so surprised because I do love pink.  These are probably 'Pink Impression,' my favorite pink tulip for reliability and longevity.

 We all know that hybrid tulips are short-lived, some much more so than others.  Wouldn't it be nice if they came with expiration dates?  Or a little sign that popped up in the spring saying, "Hey, this is our last visit to your garden this year, so you'd better plant more of us this fall!"  It would certainly help me in my bulb-ordering and planting each fall:)


Speaking of longevity, this orange tulip has been in the shade garden for at least eight years. There once were quite a few more of this variety in different colors, and I wish I could remember their names because I think their days may be numbered.  I am leaning more and more each year to long-lived tulips to save myself so much work in the fall.


A closer look at the same tulip.  The forecast for temps in the 70's all week certainly sounds wonderful, but not so wonderful for the tulips who much prefer it a little cooler.  I need to enjoy them while I can.


Elsewhere in the garden, there is a plethora of daffodils.  I have been buying larger collections of different varieties for naturalizing with different bloom times, so the display of daffs will extend longer through the spring.


Other spring blooms can be seen on my last post, but I couldn't resist one more photo of a favorite, the Puschkinia.  Aren't they sweet?  I'm tempted to find a spot where I could plant a whole mass of these.


But back to the mystery--who planted all those YELLOW tulips?? One clue might be found in some of the blooms just opening up. These have become my favorite tulip--'Akebono,'


'Akebono' is a double tulip in gradations of yellow with a darker pink edging around the petals,
 barely visible here.


The first year these bloomed for me I was so taken with them that I planted a few more the following year, and when the rabbits ate some of them that spring, I planted even more that fall.  And I probably added a few more this past year.  What I noticed was that not every year's plantings have turned out the same.  Perhaps it's because I've ordered them from different companies, but some of the blooms are not as full as the original 'Akebono.'  Perhaps a few of the mysterious yellow tulips are also 'Akebono,' but more of the single-petaled variety.


One of the companies lists 'Akebono' as a Darwin tulip, which usually is one of the longer-lived types of tulips available.  That explains why I have so many of these this year in my garden; these particular yellow tulips I am happy to have!


However, not all the yellow tulips are this variety, so I may never know why I have so many.  But an even bigger question remains:  what happened to the gardener who carefully recorded her bulb purchases in a garden journal each fall and then made detailed maps where each type was planted?? Apparently, she wasn't around in the fall of 2015.  I certainly hope she returns this year, but if she doesn't, will somebody please remind me this fall, Don't Plant Any More Yellow Tulips!


I'm joining in (a day late, sorry) with Carol at May Dreams Gardens for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day where you can check out spring--and even some autumn--blooms from around the world.

41 comments:

  1. Tee hee. I'm imagining you walking around with a puzzled look on your face. These things happen, I guess. ;-) I love yellow! So, for any of us who enjoy yellow, you've made our day by sharing your beautiful yellow blooms. Yes, it's warm here, too, for the foreseeable future. I really can't complain. Sorry to see the early bloomers go, but now it's time to get out in the garden and play! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This warm weather has really put everything into high gear--in just two days, I now have a lot more colors of tulips than just yellow, Beth. I do like some yellow, I guess I was just surprised how many I had. Spent a few hours in the garden today--can't believe it, but now I'm overheated:)

      Delete
  2. All your tulips are beautiful, including the yellow ones. I would be happy to be able to grow any color of tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Dorothy, I shouldn't complain. I think the temperature hit 80 here today, and the tulips are not happy; they are fading fast. I can imagine they wouldn't be too happy in southern Texas.

      Delete
  3. While any flowers are welcome, I think the reason I prefer other colors in tulips is because the daffodils come before them --we get lots of yellow there, so afterward I'm ready for some diversity :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassi, you've hit the nail on the head! It's not that I don't like yellow tulips, it's just that I'd rather have some other color to contrast with all the daffs. Diversity is good:)

      Delete
  4. Ha... I have one lone yellow tulip that came up in the iris bed. I know I planted tulips there years ago but they weren't the kind that come back. Well, one resurrected itself. What happened to that pink one that was named Rose?? I remember you buying it at the Chicago show that I attended with you and Beckie. Speaking of...so good to see you today. I know I won't be reminding you to not plant yellow tulips. Heck I can't even remember what I am supposed to do in my garden. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more tulips blooming today, Lisa--and none of the new ones are yellow:) 'Rosalie' is just starting to open up; at least I think that's what those pink tulips are. My goal is to take lots of pictures this spring and make notes about what is planted where and what doesn't look so good anymore. Let's see if I really do this:) So good to see you, too! Wish we could have stayed longer, but Mr. P was getting antsy. We need a road trip this summer!

      Delete
  5. All your beds are pretty Rose! Especially double yellow tulips and this 8 years one, lovely! I dig tulips bulbs out once in 3 years so I should stay one and let it grow longer in one spot as well.
    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started counting back and realized how long those orangey tulips had been in my garden, I was amazed, Nadezda. Some of mine come back for 5 years or more, but there are some that only last a year or two. I never dig mine out--I just wait to see what blank spaces I have in the spring and hope I remember those places when I plant in the fall:)

      Delete
  6. Wow !! So beautiful !! I really love the spring flowers !! Especially delightful are those yellow tulips !!
    Happy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a little tongue-in-cheek here, Ela. I wonder how that will translate in Polish:) I do like spring blooms of any kind and any color!

      Delete
  7. Rose girl that is too funny ! hey some times what is on the package is not what is IN the package ... happens to me at least once a year with some odd thing ... but hey these yellow tulips are a nice shade of yellow : )
    I wrote everything thing down last fall and it still surprises me .. Mr. Chips our resident chipmunk LOVES crocuses ... and I totally forgot about that detail ... so he has been eating one heck of a buffet for days and days now .. he should be 300 pounds and not fit in his hole he dug in my circle garden. Cheeky devil !
    You are way ahead of me with the bulbs blooming but ... it was 19 degrees (Celsius) at 9:30 this morning ... way too hot and way too dry .. we were yanked into Summer conditions already ... what happened to Spring ?
    Enjoy your pretty flowers girl !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm picturing your 300-pound chipmunk, Joy:) I must have had some fat squirrels last fall. My friend and I laugh about how our gardens always surprise us--partly because we don't remember planting half of what we did:) It got up to 80 F here today. I shouldn't complain after the freeze last weekend, but gee, could we have some nice high 60's for awhile??

      Delete
  8. Wonderful yellow tulips, Rose! Maybe they actually self-seed? One of my favorite tulips does that. Every year it pops up in new places, and I love it! It's called Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane', and has strappy, narrow, gray-green leaves that pretty much blend in with the grass. It dies down very gracefully, but not until it has multiplied for next year. Its outside is striped white and pink, and it opens up to a snow white. Lots less work with those who sow themselves - a feature I like a lot! Sad to say, I still have an entire bag full of bulbs sitting in the shed, that I never found time to plant. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do think some of my tulips re-seed, Anna. I do have 'Lady Jane,' too; she just hasn't bloomed yet.
      But I'm partial to the tall hybrid tulips. I've been planting more Darwins and anything else promoted as a long-lived tulip the last few years. My knees are getting too old to do more bulb-planting than I have to:)

      Delete
  9. Is it possible that your supplier sent you mislabeled tulips? That has been known to happen. Your single yellow tulips look to me like 'Sunny Prince'. In any case, I now understand why we get on so well - we are both tulip fanatics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Jason, I am definitely also a tulip fanatic:) I think some of the tulips may have been part of a collection of different colors that I ordered, and others that I ordered looked more white or cream in the catalogs but turned out a pale yellow, instead. I'm also finding that I have many, many more 'Akebono' than I realized, which is not a bad thing at all:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe the yellow ones are the most hardy and survived a harsh winter?
    There's nothing like a tulip though and you are lucky to have the space for lots!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're also right, Maggie. Some tulips seem to last a long time here, while others make it only a year or two, so the yellow tulips must be pretty hardy. Since I wrote this, I've had tulips of all colors appear, so my garden is no longer one color. But I'll take tulips of any kind!

      Delete
  12. Too funny! Of all the mistakes I've made, I wish the worst one was planting too many yellow tulips. Squirrels eat all the tulips in our neck of the woods so dare not try. Thanks so much for sharing yours in all their glorious colors and shades of yellow. Can I be yellow with envy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Sarah, "yellow with envy" is a good one:) The squirrels or something ate almost all the bulbs in my front roadside garden last fall, which still has me seeing red.

      Delete
  13. Well I just love all your tulips and all of your bulbs, just so wonderful to see an explosion of colour.

    Thanks for sharing

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I wrote this, my garden really has exploded in color, Jan. Not just yellow tulips anymore!

      Delete
  14. I love the yellow tulips Rose. They are such a pretty colour and perfect for this time of year, especially when the skies are grey.
    My favourite is the orange......truly lovely.

    Hope you are well and life is treating you kindly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheryl, so good to hear from you again! After I wrote this, more tulips began to bloom in a variety of colors, which made me happy to see. My favorites are in shades of pink, but really I love tulips of any kind or color. Life is getting better; spending time each week helping my Dad.

      Delete
  15. They are lovely--yellow or not. Anything with so many happy blooms is delightful. Hoping that gardener returns for you;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Tina. Yes, I'm hoping to be a little more organized and less distracted this year:)

      Delete
  16. You have a beautiful selection of tulips, Rose. I love the pale yellow and have red and yellow tulips opened in my garden as well. Many don't love yellow, but that color says spring to me along with the lavender of lilacs. I think it stems from those Easters when I was a kid. After the cold spell we have had with very limited bloom, the next week, the whole front garden is carpeted by color. I will miss most of this though, flying off to Seattle. Hope not to be too late to see tulip fields in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the pale yellow, too, Donna, and the 'Akebono' is just gorgeous. I think I kept ordering more and more of these. I agree that after winter, any color is welcome here. I hope you get to enjoy the tulip display in Seattle and get home in time to enjoy your own tulips.

      Delete
  17. You made me giggle Rose! Though your yellow tulips are mostly a very soft yellow. As for the way plans go to pot when you suddenly realised there is no time left to plant all the bulbs you bought, that I recognise all too well. I'm not overly fond of string bright yellow in the garden either, which is why I have to grit my teeth somewhat each spring when yet more inherited bright yellow tulips suddenly already in the middle of my carefully planned beds, laughing at me. I dig them up and even as I do, know that others will pop up next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I agree about the pale yellow. It seems like every fall I start out with a plan, and then the weather starts turning bad and I'm planting bulbs willy-nilly. It makes for some interesting surprises in the spring:)

      Delete
  18. You made me giggle Rose! Though your yellow tulips are mostly a very soft yellow. As for the way plans go to pot when you suddenly realised there is no time left to plant all the bulbs you bought, that I recognise all too well. I'm not overly fond of string bright yellow in the garden either, which is why I have to grit my teeth somewhat each spring when yet more inherited bright yellow tulips suddenly already in the middle of my carefully planned beds, laughing at me. I dig them up and even as I do, know that others will pop up next year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. In all my years of gardening, I have never had voles until this year. They ate every bulb in a huge clump of golden yellow crocuses. Also, it seems they ate my anemone blanda as well because I only had 1 to bloom. And don't let anyone tell you that they will not eat tommies because they eradicated those as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had trouble with critters eating my bulbs before. But this fall, I'm going to have to find something to keep them out of my roadside garden--all that work for nothing! Thanks for visiting! I couldn't access your blog, so I hope you'll leave a link next time so I can return the favor.

      Delete
  20. Of all the problems one could have too many yellow tulips doesn't seem to be a bad one. It's funny how unintended things like this can happen. A happy accident for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really not complaining, Jennifer:) And my garden now has tulips of every color, so it looks quite different. Spring always brings lots of surprises for me.

      Delete
  21. Gardening is like that. What is this doing here? Where did that go? lol I admire people who sell daylilies and Iris and keep everything straight. I don't seem to be capable of doing that.

    Someone needs to develop a tulip that is not palatable to voles. That would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the vole-resistant tulip, Sweetbay. I'm also wishing there was a way to get rabbits to enjoy eating Creeping charlie and other pesky weeds in my garden--I'd have my own weeding crew!

      Delete
  22. Oh that's funny! I'm always surprised by at least something that comes up every year. I actually had a handful of white tulips come up near my front door this year that (amazingly) the deer didn't get. I have no idea what kind they are. I suspect I planted them two or three years ago and this is just the first time the deer have let them alone enough to bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maybe the tulips were mislabeled. That could explain the surprise. At least they weren't neon yellow. It could have been worse!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.