Friday, January 1, 2016

A Reflection on 2015



Happy New Year everyone!  I just put up my new calendar and like seeing all those clean white spaces--I know they will fill up quickly, but for now they suggest so many possibilities and opportunities.  Before I plunge into 2016, however, I would like to reflect on the past year and think about some of the lessons I learned in 2015.

2015 started off on a high note: a new grandson was born right before Christmas, our first grandchild to live too far away to see immediately.  So we counted the days until early January when we could make the trip to Texas to hold this precious little addition to our family.



We left on a snowy day and returned to more snow and icy roads. But unlike the previous winter, snow was not a problem this year--in fact, there were times I wished we had had more to provide some insulation for the garden on the cold, cold days.



I'm not sure what I did all winter.  There's a lesson for this year--I need to take advantage of the downtime from the garden and get some much-needed housework done!  But I did enjoy the slower pace of winter to take time and watch the birds.

By March I was ready for spring. Typical of the Midwest, spring teased us with a few warm days here and there, but it was slow in coming.  By mid-April there were crocuses, daffodils, and some hyacinths, but I was still waiting for the first of many tulips to appear. We left for another week in Texas in mid-April, and while we were gone, warm weather arrived and the garden went into overdrive.


Imagine waking up after a late arrival home the night before and finding masses of tulips and daffodils in bloom that weren't there the last time you saw your garden.  It was as if the garden had suddenly exploded into full color!


I was reminded once again how much I love spring. More than the New Year, spring represents a fresh start to me, a renewal and re-birth, and a promise that life goes on, no matter what dark days may have lain in the past.


In May my world changed, as my mother was rushed to the hospital one day.  Gardening chores were pushed to the bottom of my priority list as I made daily trips to the hospital and then longer trips to the nursing home where she was sent for rehab.  I learned some valuable lessons during this time, including the reminder that you can't do it all, and that it's okay to ask for help, which I did.


But most importantly, I learned even more the benefit of "garden therapy."  After several days spent sitting by Mom's bedside, it was a joy to get out one morning and just play in the garden for awhile. As someone once said, "You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt."


While I often was nagged by thoughts of weeding and all the other chores that needed to be done, the garden became my sanctuary this past summer.  What could be more uplifting than seeing a multitude of coneflowers open their blooms, drawing butterflies by the dozens?


And then there was Lily season.  Each day I would stroll through the garden, 
enjoying the latest bloom to open.


We had plenty of rain through most of the summer, resulting in a profusion of blooms.  I learned to ignore the weeds--for the most part--and focus instead on all the beauty around me.


As summer wound down, many blooms began to fade, but there was always something to enjoy and lift my spirits as I looked at the garden.


From the goldfinches to the hummingbirds to the butterflies and bees, 
I was reminded that the garden isn't just for me.





Butterflies were more abundant this year than last, which made me happy, and I was glad that I had planted some of their favorite things.


Fall finally arrived, and a beautiful season it was!  We had no rain the entire month of October which was rather worrisome, but other than making bulb-planting difficult for awhile, it gave me plenty of sunny days to prepare the garden for winter.  A light frost in late October killed most of the annuals, but the rest of the garden carried on until a killing frost in mid-November.  Autumn is usually the shortest season in Illinois, but this year I can't complain as we enjoyed extended warm weather.


By December I was consumed with Christmas preparations and plans for another trip to Texas to celebrate Grandson's first birthday.  But I probably could have worked in the garden at times if I had wanted--it was one of the warmest Decembers on record.  It was also the wettest December on record, with torrential rains right after Christmas that flooded the streets and highways.  I think the drought is officially over!

Our first snowfall arrived on November 21, but since then the only precipitation has been rain and more rain!

As I look back at the past year, I realize how much gardening is a metaphor for life.  From May onward, my mother's health has been my top concern as she went from one health crisis to another.  She is now permanently (barring some miracle) residing in a nursing home, and we have learned to accept that we don't know what the future will bring.  In the same way, we never know what Mother Nature might have in store for us.  As gardeners, we can nurture plants and try our best to eradicate weeds and pests, but there are some things that are just out of our control.  The garden, like life, has its ups and downs which we simply must accept. Over the years, the garden has taught me again and again how important it is to embrace those good days and to enjoy the moment.  One thing I do know, however--spring will eventually return, and the cycle of life will begin again.

During this past year, especially the last eight months, I have really slowed down on blogging.  I appreciate all of you who have taken the time to visit and leave a comment, even when I haven't had time to read your own posts in awhile.  Blogging friends are the best!  I wish you all--

Health, happiness, and a beautiful garden in the New Year!


Although I am very, very late, I'm linking this post to Plant Postings' Garden Lessons Learned. I'm looking forward to participating--in a more timely fashion, I hope--in this quarterly meme in the coming year, as there is always something to be learned in the garden.


51 comments:

  1. Oh, Rose, it's been a crazy year for you, hasn't it? As you say, thank goodness for the simple joys and therapy of the garden. I hope this will be a very good year for you. Thanks for joining in the meme! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me join in so late, Beth. I've started several blog posts in the last few weeks that I never finished--glad I finally had time to get this one done!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pictures. 2015 was indeed quite a year for you and your family. I hope 2016 holds only good things for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to a better year ahead, too, Dorothy.

      Delete
  3. Rose, I think it was very busy year for you, sorry your mom was so ill. And congrats to your new grandchild! So pretty one!
    Lovely photos, I liked your words: a promise that life goes on, it's very wise.
    Happy New year, dear to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life always has its joys and sadness; my new grandson has certainly been a joy, and we love every minute we get to spend with him, Nadezda.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures with scenes from the summer garden!
    Happy New Year !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ela. It was fun to go back and look at some of the photos from the summer--something to look forward to again in the year ahead!

      Delete
  5. Your garden will always wait for your attentions. It is good that it is there to support you through your downs and ups. I hope this year is more calm for you. With all those empty spaces you can plan all sorts of fun. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised, Lisa, that other than the weeds, the garden did just fine without so much attention from me this year. I'm learning to adjust and be more flexible, another lesson I've learned this year.

      Delete
  6. Yes, gardening is so much like life. I enjoyed reading the highlights of the year that you experienced and captured for us so well with your beautiful photo. It dawned on me as I looked at your photos how much more of nature we get to see and enjoy when we have gardens because the flowers attract birds and other wonderful insects. (Well, some aren't so wonderful, but that is what gives us a challenges as gardener.) Your bird photos are treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Sally--I didn't pay much attention to the birds and insects before I had a garden. In fact, I wasn't fond of "bugs" at all:) But now I enjoy so much more of nature than just "pretty flowers."

      Delete
  7. What a year. I can imagine the ups and downs, especially with your mom. At least the garden is a meditative place, filled with beauty through each season. Your grandson is so cute. It must be hard with them living so far away. Happy New Year Rose. My this year bring flowers and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been hard, Donna, to have this grandson so far away, especially this year when he has changed so much. But that is one advantage of technology--we Facetime quite often. The garden has become my sanctuary this past year.

      Delete
  8. You definitely had a lot going on! I hope 2016 is more peaceful. Isn't it wonderful to have a garden to escape to at the end of the day? It keeps me sane. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammie. I agree about the garden--gardening is cheaper and better than therapy:) I know it uplifted my spirits so many times this year.

      Delete
  9. What a very thoughtful post over the past year and the multitude of changes both gardening and life bring our way. Happy New Year to you and I hope it is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I hope you have a great New Year, too!

      Delete
  10. It sounds like quite the roller-coaster of a year! Gardening is such great therapy, such a great place to lay aside worries and problems and just dig in the dirt and enjoy the beauty of nature. I wish you and your family a happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Indie. I really had some Zen moments in the garden this year. My New Year's resolution is to remember that and not spend so much time worrying about what needs to be done, but just enjoy it.

      Delete
  11. Je suis ravie de découvrir ce joli blog coloré de fleurs que j'affectionne tout particulièrement. Toutes les photos sont magnifiques et ce paysage enneigé sublime...
    Belle soirée...à bientôt... Jocelyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google isn't translating this for me, Jocelyne, but I get the drift--thanks so much for the kind words and for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Yes, a most reflective post ... and I find the older we get the more we do reflect, and I think that is good and only natural.

    Your grandson looks adorable, I bet you can't wait to see him again soon.

    My good wishes to you for 2016

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, my new grandson has been such a joy; he's such a happy baby, and yes, I can't wait to see him again. Wishing you all the best in the New Year!

      Delete
  13. I always enjoy your posts on lessons learned. Your garden seems to have seen you through a year with some highs (the birth of your grandson) and lows ( your Mom's ill health). Digging in the dirt is very therapeutic, isn't it? Like you, I am determined to make good use of this down time to catch up on things. Hopefully before we know it, spring will be here again. Happy New Year Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy doing these post, Jennifer; it makes me stop and realize just how a garden is constantly changing and how there is always something new to learn. We had such a late fall and then Christmas prep started that I'm just now beginning to enjoy some down time. This is my time to dream of that perfect garden I'm going to create:)

      Delete
  14. I just melt when I see those newborns! Lovely little grandson. (a bit bigger by now, I should think!
    You've had some lovely flowers, plants shrubs over the past year.
    It is sunny today with a blue sky! January!!!!!! Could be doing anything tomorrow!
    Happy New Year.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Maggie, littlest grandson has changed so much--he isn't walking yet, but he sure gets around, and has such a bubbly personality. I'm looking forward to some downtime this winter, but going through these photos made me itchy to plant something:) Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  15. I am so sorry that your mother's health has been so worrisome this past year --for both you and her. It's good that it's been balanced out a bit from the joy of a new family member. Life is like a garden --that same cycle is in all of nature. I hope this coming year will at least be a more stable one for your mom, and that you will have time to enjoy gardening again come spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have settled down here, Cassi, thank goodness. The hardest part about the last few months was accepting that my mother wasn't going to get better and dealing with some extreme low points. I and my family have come to terms with it now, I think, and realize we need to make the most of the good days we have with her. I'm enjoying some downtime, but looking forward to getting back into the garden soon. I know spring will be here before we know it!

      Delete
  16. Hi Rose, I loved reading your end-of-year post. It's nice to see the year as a whole. I'm so sorry about your mother. I saw your update on Facebook. Please know that I'm thinking of you today and will keep your family in my prayers.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of comfort, Dee. It's been a hard week, but we have had the support of a wonderful family and community. Lots of good memories shared.

      Delete
  17. What a sweet, proud expression on your face as you hold your new grandson! I'm sorry to hear about your mother, Rose. Have been going through the same thing with my mom the last year, so understand the many challenges. I wish you many loving times in the midst of the hard ones. While blogging and other things have slipped for me, friends and family (and getting outdoors) have helped get me through. Hope the same for you. DJ/Meander Mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you again, DJ. My mother passed last weekend, I'm sorry to say. Now we're focusing on helping my 90-year-old father get through this. I am so glad for all the time I got to spend with Mom this past year, and I know you will look back one day and feel the same way. I'm glad you have the support of family and friends, as I know how much that helps. Wishing you all the best, DJ.

      Delete
  18. What a precious little grandson! Probably walking by now!
    Such a busy, up and down year for you, Rose. I did read about your Mom's passing on FB - I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose a mother. After all - she's always been a part of your life.

    Your photos are lovely - I especially like the finches on coneflowers and the stunning capture of the hummer! It's not often you can take a pic of a hummer feeding from a flower - it's usually at a feeder (where you know you'll find them).
    Gentle hugs, my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Although we knew her time was limited, it still doesn't prepare you. I know the garden will really be a refuge for me this season--I'll think of Mom when her special tulips and irises come up and whenever I harvest green beans, among other times. And I'll keep trying for that perfect hummer photo!

      Delete
  19. Hi Rose, I am a big fan of garden retrospectives. It's 4 degrees below zero this morning and I needed a little reminder that spring will bring back the sunshine and warmer temps. I just love that pink daylily! Oh, and congrats on the new grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved this post, Rose. And your beautiful garden pictures. May you find refuge, strength, and loving thoughts of your mom in your garden this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely look back at the year. I know you'll find strength and refuge in your garden as well as sweet memories of your mum. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rose, a wonderful post, and being a 'friend' on Facebook I realise things moved on with your Mum since writing. All my thoughts are with you. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful gardens - excellent photography. It's so nice to see a *local* garden (I think we're a bit north of you).

    ReplyDelete
  24. The picture of the titmouse is adorable! I enjoyed reading your summary of the year, but I am sorry to hear about your mother.

    I love the picture of the phlox with the lilies. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry to be reading your post so late. I've been avoiding my blog because I know once I start clicking on other bloggers' posts, I will not be doing much else for a couple of hours. Your post is a poignant one, and your pictures and words are lovely food for thought. I hope your mother gets the loving care she needs at the nursing home. I know what a painful decision that can be for a family, and I'll be praying for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fantastic selection of photographs, Rose. I love the hummingbird, goldfinches, and butterflies. Sounds like a year of big transitions, some joyous and some very hard. I hope your 2016 has more joy and less sadness!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Scrolling through your comments/replies, I saw that your mother had died earlier this month. I'm so sorry for your loss. It is good that you were able to make the time to be with her in her final months and that you have a new life to celebrate as well. I hope that your lovely garden brings you some reprieve from grief. It's the right place to contemplate the full circle of life. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on the new grandson! Loved the review of the year in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just stopping by to say ... hope 2016 is going well for you and family

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Rose, What a lovely year in review! I am sorry about your mom's health. It is difficult seeing them unable to do things they used to be able to do. I am so looking forward to spring! It is in its early stages here!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Like you, I am not posting as much as I used to, either, yet I still feel a connection to you and other bloggers I've gotten to know.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks, Sue, and thanks to all who have stopped by and offered their condolences and support. I've been trying to write a new blog post, but finding it hard to get started. Maybe the coming of spring will help inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really enjoyed this post and the introspection of it, although I was saddened to read of your mother's passing. I hope you're doing as well as can be expected. At least you have the joy of a new grandchild to temper the loss. The circle of life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi. Yes, the circle of life--my grandkids have given me many moments of joy, even in the sad days. I'm doing better and looking forward to getting back in the garden soon.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.