Thursday, July 2, 2015

Goodbye June: A Summer Stroll Through My Garden

There are two words to describe the month of June this year---wet and wetter.  In fact, it's now official that this has been the wettest June on record.  All the rain has meant it has been difficult to get out into the garden often enough to pull all the weeds that are thriving, let alone finish putting the mulch down.  On the bright side, though, the plants are loving it, and I haven't had to water at all other than a few containers sitting under the eaves.

I realized this week that in spite of the weeds and unfinished chores, this is the perfect time to visit my garden.  The coneflowers are in full bloom everywhere, and the lilies are all opening up, making this the most colorful time of the year.  So how about a little stroll through my garden?  For once, I'm going to show mostly long shots instead of my usual close-ups, as long as you promise to ignore the weeds and the random hoses or junk tools or mulch that I couldn't crop out of the picture.  My garden isn't that large, but it is spread out, so if you were here, you'd need some walking shoes.  Instead, grab another cup of coffee and join me as I give you a little history of the garden.


When we moved to this house in the late summer of 2004, we inherited a large yard with many beautiful trees.  But there was nothing else here, other than some overgrown yews on the north side of the house.  That fall I moved a few of the plants I wanted to keep from the old house and plopped them into a shady spot under the big evergreen at the corner of the house.  I wasn't much of a gardener then, so I'm surprised they survived, but they did.  Little did I know at the time that that would be just the beginning of a new obsession.   The front of the house looked so plain, so several years later I added the shrubs along the front side, too.


When I retired a few years later, I expanded the shade garden, doubling its size.  By that time I was becoming a plant addict, so of course, I had to add more plants, resulting in the green jungle where ever-growing hostas threaten to take over smaller plants.


On one side, the shade garden is bordered by a 'Limelight' hydrangea with the miniature Japanese garden nestled underneath.  Looking back at my post on this little garden from two years ago, I'm amazed at how much the 'Limelight' has grown. I've been trying to get it to become more of a tree shape and prune a few branches each spring, but darn, it's hard cutting back much when I see all those gorgeous flowers every August.


The other side of the shade garden is bordered by a very tall evergreen, which I still haven't identified. The area underneath its low-hanging branches tends to get very weedy, and I've pretty much ignored it until the last year or two.  But this year I cut back as many of the weeds as possible and mulched most of the area with a thick layer of leaves.  I've also planted various groundcovers, hoping one day they'll take over the area and choke out the weeds.  The tower planter, by the way, was made by my daughter's boyfriend and a birthday gift last year--it's not so easy to grow things vertically, I've found:)


I've been trying to add more height to the back of the shade garden, but it's taking awhile.  The bargain Japanese maple on the left has taken a growth spurt, though, and finally can be seen above the giant 'Sum and Substance' hosta.


From my first garden area to my newest--I had been wanting to expand the shade garden even further for a long time. Last year I noticed the lawnmower tracks around this nearby oak tree, and a light bulb went off.  I convinced my non-gardening-you-have-more-garden-than-you-can-take-care-of husband that if I planted all this area, it would be so much easier for him to mow around the tree. The logic worked!   I quickly got busy, covering the area with newspapers and compost and began digging up hostas from the shade garden to move here.  It's amazing how quickly I could fill an area just with divisions from my own garden, but of course, I couldn't resist buying even more shade-loving plants now that I had more room.


I've learned some valuable lessons over the past few years as I've evolved into a gardener.  One of the most important is not to plant things too close together, so this area still looks rather bare to me, but I think I'll be happier in another year or two.  I also have been better about getting this area mulched right away.  The tall, spiky plants, by the way, are some of the 80 daffodils I planted in this area last fall whose foliage just will not die back, it seems.  Oh yes, and Sasha is only temporary garden art:)


Back to the chronological tour . . . the first full summer we lived here, I decided to turn this triangular area into a flower garden.  At one time I think there were some small shrubs and flowers here (my in-laws built this house and lived here until they passed away), but the house had sat vacant for several years, and nothing remained here but some very overgrown yews at the back and layers and layers of gravel.  I've told the story of digging out all that gravel before, so I won't repeat it here, but let's just say it was a challenging experience that took me most of the summer.  The area has changed over the past 10 years, most notably the absence of the big yews which we cut back, and which I was told would grow back, but didn't.  But that's a story for another day.  I keep intending to revamp this whole garden and started the process this May until my mother became ill.  She's doing better, I'm happy to say, but it's too late to make any major changes to the sidewalk garden now--another project for next year.


One of the things you'll notice in the previous photo is that the coneflowers have taken over this area.  I pulled many of them at the front of the border this spring and intended to take out more before I got interrupted by family obligations, but once they began to bloom....well, who would have the heart to pull these out??


I do love coneflowers; I just would like to have more variety in this small area.  But they are butterfly and pollinator magnets.  If you look closely, you'll see there are at least five Red Admirals in this photo.  I counted another dozen on the rest of the flowers this day before I lost count.  


The large boulder in place at corner of the driveway also begged for some color, so I added some of the 'Stella d'Oro' lilies I had also brought with me.  In the spring, daffodils and tulips bloom here as well.


That same year our beloved big dog Roco passed away, and I created a little garden memorial for him.  It's a challenge keeping the weeds out of this area, especially all the creeping charlie that wants to invade the space.  I often talk to Roco while I'm weeding, reminiscing about all the good times we had.   He has since been joined by daughter's cat Max and granddaughter's first guinea pig.


Now let's take a little hike down our long lane to what I call my roadside garden which I planted the following year, in 2006.  It's really just a narrow flowerbed in front of three large burning bushes. The daylilies at the front--mostly 'Stellas'--are finishing up blooming while the coneflowers are just beginning.  Behind the coneflowers are some of my favorite daylilies, which you can't see from here, that should open up any day now.


One of my favorite flowers in this garden at the moment are these 'Prairie Sun' Rudbeckia.  I'll say more about these cheery flowers on Bloom Day.

Now let's head back up the lane to see the last few newer garden areas.


Once I retired, I had much more time to devote to gardening and discovered how much I loved it.  I dug up a small area out back to attract more butterflies.  In recent years it has become pretty wild, overrun with asters and goldenrod, but there are some blooms that stand out from their foliage right now, like this beebalm.


Butterfly weed's orange blooms show up through the foliage quite noticeably.  I just hope all the rain this year doesn't prove too much for them as it did for the large butterfly weed I used to have in the roadside garden.


A new addition this year is this Ascelpias curassavica, a tropical milkweed.  It's an annual here, but I love its vibrant colors and plan to grow it each year from now on.


Over the years I've learned more about the benefits of native plants and have added more of them to this area in particular.  I've also learned you have to be patient for some of these to grow, but it's worth the wait to finally see blooms like these just beginning on the gray-headed coneflower.



Nearer the driveway is one of the flowerbeds I created after retiring, the Lily Bed.  This is the area that really stands out right now, though it's hard to get a decent long shot of it.  I have become addicted to daylilies, and I've packed so many of them into this narrow space that I've run out of room.


Although this area was meant to show off my growing collection of daylilies, there are other plants, of course, too, that vie for attention like this bright phlox and the 'Vanilla Strawberry' hydrangea behind the NOID daylilies.


Over the years my garden has grown, but not enough to keep up with my ever-growing desire to have more plants.  Still, the lack of room doesn't stop me from adding more beauties like this one!


Finally, the next-to-newest garden area and the largest  is the Arbor Bed.  In the spring the front of this garden is filled with daffodils and tulips of every color.  Right now it's just beginning to acquire its summer color with more lilies and phlox as well as annuals beginning to bloom.


And of course, there are more coneflowers!  This area was carefully planned in the beginning, but as usual with all my plantings, this garden seems to have a mind of its own, too.  Besides all the plants I plopped here because I didn't know where else to put them, many, like the coneflowers, have re-seeded and taken up residence here.  Sometimes I pull them, sometimes not.


One of the plants here that is definitely a keeper, however, is my Amsonia Hubrichtii.  Although it's no longer blooming, its foliage looks beautiful all year whether surrounded by the last of the red poppies or Japanese anemones in the fall.

Thanks for taking the time to stroll through my garden with me.  Since these photos were taken, I've had a couple garden helpers help me do some more weeding and finally finish the mulching, so the garden is looking even better (including the small vegetable garden, which we didn't see).  It's the perfect time to visit my garden, so do stop by if you're in the area!


Have a happy and safe Fourth of July, everyone!


40 comments:

  1. Lovely to see your beautiful garden, Rose ! Your floral arrangements are delightful !!!
    I love these gorgeous coneflower and butterflies !!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ela. I love seeing all the butterflies on the coneflowers this time of year.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely, colorful garden you have. I very much enjoyed my walk through it. I especially love your coneflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy. Glad you like my coneflowers--they're in every part of my garden except the shade!

      Delete
  3. Do you run into a lot of trouble with tree roots when you claim the area under an existing older tree? I, too, am looking for more places to put all the plants that catch my eye (and my pocketbook). I tried to plant around a Maple and learned that they have shallow roots. I have some oaks that might be possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly, I did have that problem around the big evergreen, especially when I tried to plant tulips and daffodils--that was a bear! The oak's roots seem to be deeper, and I added a couple of inches of soil in this area. Hostas and heucheras do fine, but I wouldn't plant anything that has deep roots, too.

      Delete
  4. Very nice stroll through the gardens, Rose. I do like the claimed area under the barberry. The daylilies and coneflowers look great there. The new shade garden will be nice in a bit of time. Hosts always multiply pretty well. A few neighbors planted them under Norway Maples and the hosta are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Donna, the hostas I planted in the new area last summer have already grown so much. I think they must be one of the easiest plants to grow; they're happy just about anywhere there is shade.

      Delete
  5. I thought you said you had a small garden! Geez! You have a lot of garden! It looks like a happy place. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I often think that if I gave each of my plants the room it deserved instead of crowding them all together, rubbing shoulders, my garden would probably be three times as big:)

      Delete
  6. You are so fortunate to have a wonderful mix of sun and shade, Rose! That's my dream for our next house. Our first one was mostly sunny, and this one is mostly shady. How fun it must be to have plenty of both! I enjoyed your long shots of your garden--it looks neat and tidy (and very healthy) to me. I really like the combination of the Japanese Maple and the chartreuse Hosta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I do enjoy having enough sun to grow coneflowers and daylilies, two of my favorites. But in the heat of summer, the shade garden is my favorite place to be. The bargain Japanese maple is really coming into its own, and I'm pleased that it's much prettier than I thought it would be.

      Delete
  7. The cornflowers are very pretty Rose! I also love your climbing rose what variety is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nadezda. I'm not sure what plant you thought was a climbing rose, but mine isn't blooming yet. I have only a few roses, but they are the big disappointment this year. I'm not sure if the winter was too hard on them, but I hope they rebound next year.

      Delete
  8. That was a great tour :-) It's always so nice to see whole gardens, although I agree that it's often really hard to capture them in photos. We came back from the UK to find 6 inches of rain in our rain gauge. That's 2 inches for each week we were gone --more than any garden needs! However, the weeds are not as bad as the mosquitoes --it's hard to spray liquid fence while swatting mosquitoes at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Cassi, we had more rain than we needed, and now we're back in another rainy spell, apparently. Wish we could send some of this to places that need it! The mosquitoes are the worst I've seen them in years; I can't even go out in the evening without a layer of insect repellant, and even then, they seem to find a place I missed spraying.

      Delete
  9. Oh Rose, I would love to drop by and have a walk about in your garden. It has expanded since I was there. I love the new shade garden around the oak. I am sure mower man appreciates it too but won't admit it. ;) Wow you have so many things blooming right now. It is great. A girl can't have too many day lilies for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could come visit, too, Lisa! I don't know if the garden has expanded much since you were last here, but it certainly has become more packed with plants:)

      Delete
  10. That looks like a lot of garden to me, too! Glorious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I'm really enjoying all the blooms right now.

      Delete
  11. Oh I enjoyed the guided tour Rose. Despite all that rain your hostas look untouched by slugs. How do you do it? My daylilies are still to open but I'm looking forward to greeting them when they do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I'm just lucky when it comes to slugs, I guess. Some years I've had problems with earwigs chewing little holes in all the hosta leaves. It's always something, isn't it?

      Delete
  12. Wow, it’s amazing how different the climate can be in different parts of the world, now I know where all the rain we haven’t had has gone! Please send me some :-)
    How great to see the whole of your garden like this, I had no idea your garden was this big! Compared to British gardens, and especially London gardens you have an amazing space – and a lot of work to do! I liked your bed under the oak, really nice feature. And your collection of daylilies is impressive. I hope the weather has improved for you by now, have a good week in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish I could send you some of this rain, Helene! It's raining again here, and I'm really getting tired of it. I do have a lot of space since we live in the country and have a very large yard. The size of my garden is limited more by my time and energy than physical space:)

      Delete
  13. What a pretty peach colored daylily! Love all those coneflowers too. My husband also thinks I have too much garden to handle, but who can resist all those plants? And I do the mowing, so I'd rather have gardens than lawn to mow :) Thanks for identifying the 'Prairie Sun' Rudbeckia - I received some that look just like that from another gardener and was wondering what the variety was. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a problem resisting plants, too, Indie:) I told my husband, though, that if I created another garden area, I wouldn't have to buy any more plants--if I divided and moved some crowded plants out of the present garden, I could easily fill another area twice the size of any I have now! I've offered to mow part of the yard to compromise, but mowing is something he enjoys doing. These 'Prairie Suns' all self-seeded from last year, which really surprised me.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful Rose.....what a magnificent job. It has changed so much since I visited.
    I can see all the work you have put into this space..........well done. I know just how exhausting it can be.

    I love the coneflowers with the red admiral butterflies.......absolutely stole the show for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I do wish you could see my garden right now! It has grown so much bigger since you were here, and right now is the perfect time to see everything in bloom. The coneflowers are just alive with butterflies--I love just watching them.

      Delete
  15. A most bountiful June! We had some heavy rain but also days of sun so I can't complain. It seems to have done well for your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is loving all this rain, Sarah, and now that I finally have some mulch down, the weeds are somewhat under control. It would be nice to see the sun again, though:)

      Delete
  16. Beautiful coneflowers! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Glenna!

      Delete
    2. I've added you to my "Blogs I enjoy reading..." section! : )

      Delete
  17. Hi Rose, your gardens look beautiful. I know what you mean about planting too close. I suffer from that bad habit too. I want things to look full and lush immediately. Wish i could grow the Amsonia Hubrichtii but I think it's too cold here and the droughts are too frequent. This would have been a good year for it since we are getting at least an inch of rain a week (or more).

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is interesting to see the wide shots and read about the history of your garden. My garden like yours has evolved and changed over the years. Gardening is about patience and persistence isn't it? I love your patches of echinacea. Every time I visit I wish I had more of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a HUGE drift of purple coneflower - beautiful. I noticed the hollyhocks in that picture also. Two favorites of mine that I can no longer grow because of plant diseases. I especially love the photo of the coneflowers with all the red admiral butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Though I love the close-ups it was great to see wider views of your garden this time. What a great job you've been doing. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun strolling through your garden this morning! I love hearing the inspiration and stories on how gardens evolve. You do have quite a lot to care for! It seems all I do is weed and I never ever get ahead of the game. The Mexican butterfly weed WILL self seed so leave some area open underneath your plant and look for seedlings next year. They resemble zinnias. They are very faithful seeders but never invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rose ... your garden looks absolutely wonderful.

    I enjoyed my walk through it, using your lovely photographs.

    Just beautiful, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.