Monday, April 27, 2015

Spring on Fast Forward

What happens when you leave on a trip just as spring bulbs are emerging from the ground?  In a typical Illinois April, daily rainstorms could flood the ground or the temperatures could plummet with even a late covering of snow.  But not this year!  When I left to visit Daughter and her family two weeks ago, the sun came out and temperatures rose, and spring flowers exploded into bloom.  While I was off babysitting my newest grandson, now four months old, my friend Beckie checked on the garden for me and sent me photos of daffodils, tulips, and so much else in full bloom that I worried I was going to miss it all.  Of course, I was thoroughly enjoying spending time with my grandson, whose smiles can melt your heart, but at the same time I didn't want to miss my favorite time of year in the garden!


We returned late at night, and I checked a couple of the garden areas, but in the darkness it was hard to tell if the blooms were fading or still intact.  The next morning this is what I saw in the Arbor Bed--I hadn't missed the whole show after all!


I did miss some of the early tulips, and others were already past their prime, 
like the 'Double Maureen' above.


The same was true of the daffodils, including some sweet smaller ones that I saw only in Beckie's photos.  But I didn't miss these mixed among the 'Maureens'!  (Names of most daffodils are somewhere in my memory bank, but hard to retrieve at the moment.)


But most of the tulips waited for my return.  'Sunlover' was in full glory, a double peony-type tulip that has the largest blooms I've ever seen.  And even better, it has multiplied in my garden.


Too tired the first morning back to unpack or do any of the countless chores that awaited me,
 I traipsed around the garden in my ratty old robe and snapped photos.


A closer look at the tulips shown in the earlier photo--my namesake, 'Rosalie.'


And this gorgeous beauty in front of it, 'Ad Rem.'


As if on cue for my mother's birthday, 'Princess Irene' also began to bloom this past week.


I've kept records of all the tulips I've planted in recent years, but I have so many that I am beginning to get confused about some of their names.  I'm pretty sure this is a new one, 'Pink Star.'


And this, I think, is 'Lady Jane.'  I was worried these species tulips had been disturbed when we tried to dig out some nearby old yews last fall, but they certainly don't look like they were bothered at all--and they have multiplied as well.


Despite my efforts to record names, some escape me, like these delicate white with yellow markings. No matter, I enjoy their nameless beauty all the same.


Another NOID that's different from any others I have.


And what has become my very favorite tulip of all--'Akebono.'  The rabbits didn't get these this year!


There are more tulips here and there, some nameless, some still waiting in the wings to bloom.  I've been taking long shots of the garden, not because they're particularly attractive photos, but for my own records.


Having these photos in the fall will help me remember where there are empty spots in the sidewalk garden above and the shade garden in the previous photo.  Because you know I will be ordering and planting more tulips next fall!


Tulips aren't my only addiction, however.  I do love daffodils, too. 
 'Mount Hood' has multiplied in just two years.


It's a gorgeous white beauty with large blooms.


In the shade garden, a stand of narcissus.  I wish I could remember the names of these, because I just love their slender stalks and would love to order more.  Or, I could get ambitious and divide them...


I like the standard yellow daffodils because they're the first to bloom, but otherwise I much prefer a variety of daffodils and narcissus.  This is one of a mix around the oak tree.


My granddaughter and I planted 80 daffodils around the oak tree last fall. After rabbits and/or deer feasted on many of the tulips last year, I decided not to tempt fate and stuck with daffodils rather than tulips in this area. I think I need to plant twice that many . . . or I could just be patient and let them multiply over the next few years.


Not every spring bloom has to be big and showy.  Grape hyacinths make such a pretty contrast planted in masses in front of tulips or daffodils.  I especially like this variegated mix.


I was also happy to see the new dwarf forsythia I planted last fall blooming so well. 
 I guess I forgot I had already planted tulips in this spot, though:)


Hellebores are still going strong.


Their pretty faces are much easier to see now than a couple of weeks ago.


Pulmonaria is blooming as well.


As is the Epimedium--my very first one.  How have I overlooked these little beauties before?  I think there will be more of these on my plant shopping list this spring:) 


We were home in time to also see blooms on my little Serviceberry.  It's doing well, but it will be a few years before it commands the attention it deserves.


And best of all, we were home in time to see the sight I wait for every spring--the redbud and flowering crabapples lining my driveway.  Ahhh, can you see why spring is my favorite season of the year?!


I am way behind in blog reading and replying to all those who took the time to comment on my last two posts.  I took my IPad with me on our trip, and while I could read blogs, half the time I couldn't leave a comment.  I'm going to try to catch up with everyone's posts and comments this week--whenever the sun isn't shining, that is:)

44 comments:

  1. So many beautiful tulips! I'm amazed you can name such a lot of them!

    I've never seen variegated grape hyacinth before; they are rather cute. Or a dwarf forsythia. Again lovely. And your redbud and crab-apples, as always, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful tulips! I'm amazed you can name such a lot of them!

    I've never seen variegated grape hyacinth before; they are rather cute. Or a dwarf forsythia. Again lovely. And your redbud and crab-apples, as always, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I write down the bulb names and where I planted them each fall in a garden journal. But over the years, some tulips have disappeared, and it's getting harder to remember which one is which. I found these variegated grape hyacinth online and just love them.

      Delete
  3. Relax and enjoy spring. Did I just say relax? tee hee... At least you get some time to enjoy all your hard work in the pst planting all those daffs and tulips. You have the prettiest tulips. I really should plant more of them. Hopefully this fall I can do so. This spring has been nice in that it isn't flying by what with all these cooler temps. Our Serviceberry was the prettiest it has ever been this spring. Redbuds are finishing... Your drive trees are gorgeous. Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, every fall as I'm digging and digging, I tell myself the spring display will be worth it--and it is. I was glad for last week's cool temps so that I could enjoy the blooms longer, but on the other hand, it was so cool I had to put on a winter coat to work in the garden! Relax? Maybe in July:)

      Delete
  4. Welcome home! An apt name for this post because spring would certainly be on fast forward for you. Love that drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really felt strange, Tina, to come home and see everything blooming at once! Usually, I am out each morning, checking all the buds about to bloom and enjoying each one.

      Delete
  5. Wow that is a stunning shot of the driveway in bloom...and you didn't miss much as your garden waited for you...beautiful shots Rose...love all those tulips I don't grow.....and you spent time with your favorite rose bud new baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad the tulips waited for me, Donna! I missed a few, but I would have been so sad to miss them all. Next year we'll head south earlier in the season:)

      Delete
  6. Oh, my, those spring bulb blooms are just glorious. And the crabapples are almost too beautiful to be real. Spring really was worth waiting for, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the crabapples every spring, Dorothy, and this year they have been exceptional. I think last week's cooler weather helped them to stick around longer.

      Delete
  7. What a very grand driveway you have! You're so lucky to have the space for such lovely Spring flowering shrubs, trees and flowers.
    You are really fortunate to have a good friend come in and care for your garden while you are away and to take lovely photos too. I will definitely be getting more tulips next year. What an inspiration you are!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live on a farm, Maggie, and the front yard was once a pasture many years ago. My in-laws built this house in the late 60's, and I'm glad they decided to keep it far from the road. Gazing out over my front yard from the porch swing is my favorite way to relax during the spring through fall. Yes, I am addicted to tulips:)

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness Rose, what a wonderful display, just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suburbia! You can see why spring is my favorite time of year.

      Delete
  9. Heavenly. These photos are just beautiful. I'd love to see it all in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have you visit if you are ever in Illinois, Sally! Just overlook the weeds:)

      Delete
  10. Hi Rose, I love, love your double pink tulip!!! Your double yellow looks like mine. I am so bad about saving names. They just aren't that important, especially in tulips which have a short life. Your drive looks like a park. It's really cold here which is prolonging the tulip and daff blooms. Glad you got home in time to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I didn't like the cold last week--I wore a winter coat one day to get some garden work done--it really did prolong the life of the tulips and the crabapple blooms. I'm afraid I mostly remember the names of the most recent tulips, because as you say, they don't always last long. Lately, I've been planting mostly tulips that are supposed to be longer-lived--I'm getting too old, or at least my knees are, to be planting hundreds of tulips every fall.

      Delete
  11. Am so glad your trip to see your family didn't mean you missed out on all that Spring loveliness. You have a magnificent array of tulips, I am only just starting to grow them in the ground, always having put them in pots before. Epimediums are a recent discovery of mine too, I fear they are deeply addictive, I am already wondering where I can plant a white one I have my heart set on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the blooms on the first Epimedium here last week, I was smitten. I think there will be more added very soon:)

      Delete
  12. How lovely to have a new grandchild and you haven' t missed your bulbs or your gorgeous trees. You have some fabulous tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chloris. I'm glad the tulips and trees waited for my return.

      Delete
  13. I love the flowering trees lining your driveway, that is one beautiful sight. You really have a beautiful selection of tulips too. So many colors and varieties. I see why you love spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to give all the credit to my in-laws for planting these trees many years ago, Donna. It's true you plant trees for future generations.

      Delete
  14. I love your variety of tulips! Is 'Lady Jane' a species tulip? 'Ad Rem' and 'Princess Irene' are wonderful - I have some new 'Princess Irene' and I am eagerly waiting to see them blooming (your spring is more advanced than in Chicago).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jason, 'Lady Jane' is a species tulip, the only species I have. They're not as showy as the other tulips, but they've multiplied and gotten prettier with the years--I think I'll add more! I bought 'Ad Rem' at the Chicago Flower Show the past two years and have really been impressed with them.

      Delete
  15. Yeah for spring! You have such an interesting variety of tulips. I thought some were peonies before I read your captions. Your blooming fruit trees are spectacular this year. We are only just starting spring in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I am a sucker for the double tulips that look like peonies. They don't always live as long, but 'Sunlover' has been the exception, and of course, 'Angelique,' which is just started to open here. It's been a great year for the crabapples; they often don't last this long.

      Delete
  16. So many gorgeous blooms! Spring is such an amazing time --and planting bulbs in the fall is such an incredibly rewarding thing to do :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bulb planting gets to be a chore sometimes, especially if it gets cold early. But then I look at my photos from the spring and remember why I do it!

      Delete
  17. Hi, Rose!
    The last photo is stunning: those red apple trees show their beauty. I also liked 'Lady Jane.', and white with orange 'eye' daffodils. Mine soon will bloom as well.
    Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadezda, this has been a great year for the crabapples. They are just beginning to fade and the rain today will probably blow off the rest of the blooms, but they have lasted for over two weeks!

      Delete
  18. What a nice thing to come home too. Right from the start lining the driveway are those beautiful crabapples! Such a nice greeting! Your tulips are lovely this year Rose. I love the doubles especially. I must remember those interesting grape hyacinths when it comes fall bulb planting time. So pretty! I also have to comment on the white daffodils. My favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I really like the different-colored muscari, too. I think I bought them from Brent and Becky's bulbs, 'Magical Muscari Mix.' I planted 'Mount Hood' just a year ago last fall, and it's already multiplying.

      Delete
  19. It truly delights me to know I am not the only enthusiast outside in her robe with a camera. I'm happy for you that you did not miss some of your favorite sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ShellE, our neighbors are far enough away that they can't see me traipsing around in my old robe...I hope:)

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your spring flowers are beautiful! I love your tulips and the daffodil in the third picture. And the grape hyacinth. Happy for you that you got to both visit your grandson and experience spring at home!

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have missed a few early daffs and tulips, but I didn't miss the best part of the show! And I certainly wouldn't have missed the chance to spend time with my little grandson again.

      Delete
  22. So many tulips.... Your driveway is incredible!! It looks like a park! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I just can't get enough of tulips! But I've been pretty lucky so far that rabbits and deer haven't bothered them. I can't take any credit for the trees in the driveway, so I'll say how much I love them, too.

      Delete
  23. I'm new to your blog - but am so pleased I visited ( and I will be back soon) ... what truly beautiful flowers, the colours are lovely. I enjoyed looking at every one of your pictures. Thank you for sharing. I hope the week goes well for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad that you got to enjoy all your beauties, Rose! It has been a beautiful spring here, and the weather has been fairly mild. It's warming up already, though, and working in the yard is not going to be quite as pleasant as it has been the past few weeks. Still, though, I'd much rather be here for summer than in Florida. SAM and I have been taking advantage of all the hiking and now the kayaking opportunities around here. Lakes with no gators! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.