Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bloom Day and a Blogging Break


January is always challenging for the monthly Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. It's too cold for any blooms outdoors, and my garden is a mushy, frozen mess at the moment without even the benefit of some fluffy white snow for an appealing winter scene.  Indoors, the Christmas poinsettia is still looking good, but the only other indoor bloom is this kalanchoe.


I bought this plant before Christmas at a plant sale held by horticulture students at our local community college.  I'm not sure if they grew the plant themselves in their greenhouse or imported it from a wholesaler, but it was quite a bargain for its size.  There is only one problem . . .



Notice the tag in the pot?  Obviously, this is not pink!  But I'm not going to complain--at this time of year any blooms are welcome, no matter their color.  Also indoors, the Christmas cactus is dropping the last of its blooms, and the leaves of two amaryllis are growing several inches a day, but alas without a bloom on either.

Somewhere I'm sure there must be something blooming--if you're in need of a garden fix like me, I'm sure you'll find something colorful among the other Bloom Day posts found at May Dreams Gardens.


This will be my last post for awhile, and I wanted to let everyone know so that you don't think I suddenly fell off the face of the blogosphere.  Last fall I agreed to take over for an English teacher while she was on maternity leave this winter.  I had to think over this proposal for awhile--did I really want to get back into the everyday work routine? Although I substitute teach at my old high school occasionally, that's a little different, and sometimes I feel like little more than a glorified babysitter.  Instead of leaving empty-handed right after the 3:00 bell, this position would mean I would be staying in the classroom for as long as it takes to get things organized for the next day and taking home a bag filled with papers to grade and lessons to prepare during the evening.

But the timing was right--I can't do much in the garden in late winter anyway. And she really wanted ME, not someone new, which, of course, fed my ego; the thought of actually teaching and getting to interact meaningfully with students again was also appealing.  The added paychecks (more plants?? more trips??) didn't hurt either.

And so I agreed to go back to work for eight weeks.  But babies don't always follow schedules, and sure enough, little baby Gabe decided to make an early appearance.  Instead of having three more weeks to prepare for my teaching stint and get the last of the Christmas decorations put away (!), I started teaching this past Friday.    I know many of you work full-time and keep up with blogging, but I have been out of the loop so long that it's going to take me awhile to adjust.  I have a feeling that by the time I have all my work done at the end of each evening, I'm going to be ready to collapse into bed, rather than relaxing by reading some blogs. 

I hope to be able to pop in and visit now and then, and I'm going to try to post a short Bloom Day post in February and March.  But I will definitely be back to blogging in April, when I hope I can share scenes like this:


and this....



See you in the Spring!

35 comments:

  1. Have fun Rose. Your opportunity came just at the right time. I too will be busy but not as busy as you are. I am taking a Naturalist course. I hope to have fun too. See you this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose, When you told me, last night, you were taking a blogging break I was very concerned there might be something wrong so I am very relieved to read the reason and can absolutely understand the need! Blogging is so time consuming even for a rather irregular poster like myself but to blog and work full time must be extremely difficult!!

    I love that Kalanchoe, so cheerful! For some reason I don't see them here so much lately, I do like them. My sister-in-law always buys herself and me an Amaryllis at Christmas and we compete to see which flowers first, mine is growing well and has two buds at the moment :-)

    Well, enjoy the teaching Rose and I look forward to seeing more beautiful photos like you ended with on your return :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Righ now my garden is the same as yours, wet and mushy. The only flowers I have blooming are my violas and the rabbits are eating them in the front yard. Have fun teaching and see you in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'll miss you, but hope you enjoy your short stint in the classroom! I am a former teacher myself (music and English), though I taught full-time for only six years. Every time I go into one of my children's schools, I feel like I'm home.

    I've tried many Kalanchoes over the years, and they are very cheery to have around. I've never had any luck getting them to bloom another year, though.

    Happy teaching! Hope the kids are good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a plan to keep you busy-awesome! Enjoy your break see ya soon! Love love love kalanchoe but only grew it in Germany-not enough sun inside for it here. Pretty yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kalanchoe, dependable for winter bloom following the Christmas Cactus spectacle. Mine's white. any little pieces that break off will easily root.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eight weeks is a nice little adventure. Enjoy your break!

    Your photos are beautiful of course!
    Thanks for sharing!
    God bless....Brooke

    http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/
    My home and garden site...

    http://brookekroeger.blogspot.com/
    My Vintage Art and Printables site...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those lucky students to have you back in the classroom. have fun and see you next month. xogail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your teaching stint. We'll look forward to having you back regularly in April. Meanwhile, happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, gosh, I'll miss you Rose! But this is the perfect timing in the middle of winter. I don't know how I worked full-time, handled the schedule of a very busy teenager, and blogged regularly in 2010. My schedule is so much more flexible now, and I still struggle to find the time. Enjoy your adventure, and we'll be here when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you enjoy the opportunity to be in the classroom again, and will be looking forward to your return!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What better way to keep the Winter Blues away girl. Enjoy your teaching and that extra moo la la to boot! Time will fly and it will be April before ya know it. Happy Teaching...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's terrific that you're teaching full time for 2 months! It's great all around...$$, social interaction, staying busy during the winter, etc...I myself sub a couple of times per week and just with that alone I find it hard to blog! I can't imagine doing it while working f.t. At any rate, good luck in your new challenge and we'll see you in a couple of months:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh I hate those incorrect plant tags. I had one of those this year as well, tag says pink but the flower that showed up is distinctly white. It sounds like you are really looking forward to the new work assignment and that is a wonderful thing. Enjoy every minute of it and I look forward to seeing you upon your return.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fortunate kids to have you as their sub! I hope you enjoy your time in the classroom and return to your garden and the blogosphere ready for new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will miss your posts, especially your gentle sense of humor, Rose. Take care and have fun with your assignment. Stay warm up there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, I think that Kalanchoe is a beautiful shade of pinyellowk. ;-) Oh well, it is bright and cheery.
    Will miss your posts for the next few months. Enjoy being back in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have never seen a yellow Kalanchoe before. You were obviously surprised too, as you thought you were getting a pink one.
    You are going to be very busy with the teaching. Hope it all goes well and looking forward to the time when you will be back with plenty to talk about!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoy your break and your teaching position. I am sure you will come back with all kinds of observations to share. Happy winter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know if you will see this until spring rolls around, but I just wanted to let you know that you will be missed. You are brave to go back to the classroom. I'm not sure I have what it takes to go back. Have a ball while you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have fun with your new 'role.' The kalanchoe is beautiful. Yellow must be the new pink. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rose girl how are you !
    I laughed at the ID stick stating the plant should be PINK ? LOL
    I also noticed that you said to Lisa in your comment that you don't have snow cover left .. neither do we here ... we have had warm weather with a bit of rain, you can see GREEN grass .. but next we are going back into the deep freeze with NO snow and I too worry about my garden ... and what kind of a Spring will we have I wonder .. this is very perplexing and my hopes for a good garden year are beginning to crumble ;-(
    But we have to hang in there right?
    Take care !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. PS ... Oh my goodness Rose ! I skipped reading and missed the part of you going back to work for 2 months full time .. I understand you are torn over the prospect of being so tired and yet keeping on track.
    It is exciting and daunting at the same time.
    BUT .. you are going to be wonderful at it and it will make you feel great inside for that time period. You will appreciate both sides of the fences when you are done girl ! LOL
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your blogger friends will miss your posts, but your students will be lucky to have you in the classroom. I'll look for you on GBBD in February and March.

    The plant tag mixup made me laugh. Happens to me often.

    Thanks for visiting Mamma Mia Days. Hope I can keep it up now and post at least once a week.

    Wishing you the best of everything, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Rose, I hope that your 8 weeks of teaching will go well. 8 weeks is not long for a maternity leave! They will certainly rush by for the new mother. Here is Canada, we are spoiled. We have a full year with a new baby.
    I am sure your first few days will be exhausting. There is so much preparation work to be done. After a while, I am sure you will fall back into the old routine. Take care Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good luck with your teaching! Those students are lucky to get such a dedicated teacher. I'm sure they will be blooming like your garden in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice to see spring flowers in January! I will never tire of looking at flower pics.

    Good luck with your teaching - should be nice and will probably be over all too soon.

    Oh, I quite agree. I'd never have the energy to work full-time and blog. And do cooking, laundry, housecleaning, etc. etc.
    Enjoy your break. See you when you get back.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think the children will be really happy having a teacher like you Rose. I hope they will let you go after your teachingperiode is ended.
    My garden is a mass too at the moment. The tawn came in last night and rain and wind are here. I also hope we get a lovely spring soon. Have a great time and see you in spring.
    Greetings Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  31. what a wonderful attitude you have about going back to work! It is a far better one than I have, I assure you!
    Great to hear you are doing well and keeping busy, looking at spring photos gave me something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are awesome flowers. they all look lovely and pretty. Thank you for sharing this awesome post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.